Need fan? (Supermicro C3000)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

snakyjake

Jan 22, 2014
I'm looking at the Supermicro C3000 motherboard/processor series, and many do not come with a CPU fan, just a CPU heatsink.

The models without the fan, do they require a chassis fan?
Or do these models not produce the heat, therefore the heatsink is all that is needed?

Thanks.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Pretty sure there's at least a chassis fan or two, and possibly a duct leading from one to the CPU heatsink.

On the page for a given mainboard, Supermicro will usually list what systems it's included in. This should give you some idea of what kind of cooling you'd need to employ.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You can run the C3338 with little to no chassis airflow. The C3958 / C3955 certainly need a chassis fan over a passive heatsink. I would suspect many of the lower-end models will as well.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
If you want to want to run one of the models with a greater number of cores, therefore, higher power, I've heard that you will need very good chassis airflow, and if you don't have that then you'll need to put a fan on the heatsink. @Patrick had a recommendation or two for a particular fan model or series, or at least a vendor who sold the right sort of fans... IIRC. Am I mistaken in this recollection... Patrick?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Oh do the Xeon-D trick and just glue, zip tie, whatever a fan on TOP of the heatsink should also do the job for minimal cost and effort.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Oh do the Xeon-D trick and just glue, zip tie, whatever a fan on TOP of the heatsink should also do the job for minimal cost and effort.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. But what fan exactly? Must one purchase a Supermicro-branded Xeon-D CPU fan? Who sells quiet fans with the right dimensions, and what model would one be looking for?

I'm potentially looking to do this for a C2000-series CPU.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I used a NF-A6x25 I think, 60mm anyway.
But c2000i know has been mentioned as similar or same size heatsink ?? Sorry I don’t have one to know but I think it’s been mentioned as similar.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Eyeballing a photo of the supermicro heatsink, it looks roughly 60mm on a side (a little smaller than half the length of the dimm slot, which should be around 130mm, so I figure probably 60mm). Based on that, either 40mm or 60mm should work I would think.

I would expect one of these to work fine: DC Cooling Fan for Model Railroads or Ham Radio Equipment 15 CFM Ball Bearing | eBay

FFB0412VHN -- only uses about 2 watts at maximum speed. Should be a reasonable volume when running at a lower speed, but if you want it to be especially quiet, you're going to want a bigger, slower fan instead. I've used a pair of these to cool 95w TDP E5-2660's at full load, so one of them should be fine for the atom.