Need CPU/Motherboard recommendation to replace E5520

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I'm currently rebuilding my Home Lab with the intention of learning Virtualization. Plan is to build a 3 node ESI cluster. I already have 2 built based on Xeon D 1528 and was planning to use an existing server (Dual Xeon 5520 on an Asus Z8NA-D6C that I built in 2009 and has been chugging along with various versions of Windows Server till date. When installing ESXi 6.5 there was a message that this processor has been deprecated and may not be supported in future versions and that got me thinking that maybe it is time to replace it.

The options are to get another Xeon D (1541) or build a new dual proc system. Looking for thoughts.

IMG_0505.JPG

Last edited:

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
If you want to learn, might as well use it. You can always switch to a Linux based system to avoid any deprecated CPU issues. Linux will run most anything. :) proxmox is a great platform and runs great for me on a similar platform.

If you want to do a build, E5-2670 setups are a good choice. I plan to wait a bit and see what happens with AMD. if nothing else, it should push down prices for Intel gear.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I built a dual E5-2670 system on an ASRock EP2C602/4L-D16 I cpiked up new at newegg on sale for under $300. Works fine, very stable running W7. Tried Linux Mint with a different video card and seemed very stable. Might migrate to W10, but can't find a reason to do so at this time.

Just bought a S2600CP2J with 64bg mem and 2 x E5-2665 procs from Natex. Just starting the build (see related thread on DIY Server and Workstation Build thread). Will use whatever operating system I like depending on the day of the week, phase of the moon, price of gasoline and lingering effects of that last bottle of wine.