Need basic advice for how to rack mount supermicro + norco case?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rmzg

Feb 8, 2017
So a while ago I purchased a supermicro 4u 24 bay rack mount server and then sometime later a 16bay norco expander. Both of these are the standard boxes you constantly see popup on ebay and mentioned in the forums here. I've had them laying on shelves or the floor for a long time now but I just had an opportunity to purchase a sound proof rack box to mount them.

However for some reason I'm just completely confused by what equipment I need to mount the cases in the rack! I'm not sure exactly what's so confusing about it, but assuming I only have the rack and the cases mentioned, exactly which pieces of equipment should I get to mount them? Do you typically buy the rails from the case manufacturer or the rack manufacturer?

The rack is a WQ-990 as follows: Server Racks & Server Cabinets | Claytek Products | WQ-990 - 9U 900mm Depth Ultimate Quiet Server Cabinet

The first case, the 4U looks like this on the side:
20170208_162839.jpg
And the front looks like:
20170208_162855.jpg

The Norco unit looks like this from the side:
20170208_162916.jpg
And this from the front:
20170208_162923.jpg

The interior of the rack looks like: 20170208_162942.jpg

Like I said, this should all be pretty standard stuff but I'm having trouble picking out the *exact* pieces I need, so if you could spare me some wisdom, or even better, ebay links, I'd appreciate it.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
From your photos, I think you'll need rails for an SC846 (SuperMicro) case and same goes for the SGI SE3016 (Rackable Systems jbod). The rails for the SuperMicro should be easy enough to come by, the SGI box, not so much. You may end up needing to use some universal rack shelves for that. Obviously you'll also need the screws for the rails and whatever mounting hardware you need for your rack, like inserts if it is a square hole rack etc :)

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
From the photo, I think that the SC846 is an older revision that requires the "wide" rails (MCP-290-00014?). Supermicro Tech Support could probably verify the correct p/n.

I looked for a while, and purchased a set of used rails from eBay, which turned out to be R+L inner with 2x outer R rails ... damn!

I gave up looking and purchased some Navepoint adjustable rack mount shelves for $30 and called it a day.