Need AP Suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
Ruckus also offer a free site survey service:
FREE Wireless-LAN Site Survey | RuckusSecurity.com

Here is a youtube video on their site survey application:

So I'm looking for the zoneplanner software but on their site it's saying it's been replaced with a web based "yaga" software... I can't find a download link and my searching has led me to believe it was paid software?? How do I get the software to do the designing?

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
I ordered the r500 4 pack from eBay. Offered $130 and seller accepted within 20 minutes, so guess I could have gone a bit lower lol. Oh well. Would like to get this sorted ASAP.

I also broke down and ordered an ICX6450-48P so I'll jump straight to PoE which is nice. And I'll be able to get my cameras up soon.

lambda

Oct 27, 2018
I ordered the r500 4 pack from eBay. Offered $130 and seller accepted within 20 minutes, so guess I could have gone a bit lower lol. Oh well. Would like to get this sorted ASAP.

I also broke down and ordered an ICX6450-48P so I'll jump straight to PoE which is nice. And I'll be able to get my cameras up soon.
I am pretty sure you are going to have a lot of fun with your new toys. :)

Reactions: fohdeesha

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
So how do I get the designer software? Or is this yaga website free? I see you have to sign up and I'm always leery of signing up for every website

lambda

Oct 27, 2018
So how do I get the designer software? Or is this yaga website free? I see you have to sign up and I'm always leery of signing up for every website
I don't think their free offer is the software itself. Instead, they will feed your floor plan to their software and mail you back the result.

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
Ahhhhhhh ok. Then I misunderstood why you posted the video.

But the APs are on the way now and I appreciate all the help so far!

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
be sure to check out our giant icx thread: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...s-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/

and hit me up if you need licenses

you made a good call on the ruckus APs those things r soo hot right now
Thanks! I was going to shoot you a PM but I figured I'd wait until I get my hands on the switch. Been a long time since I setup a managed switch properly so I'll be going through that thread, as well as reading up the next couple weeks. That mega thread is the reason I went after the ICX6450. I had hoped to get a 24P for the power savings aspect, but couldn't find one for anywhere near as cheap as the 48P. shame. Looking forward to getting my 10Gbe Fiber link running through it from my desktop to my server.

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Thanks! I was going to shoot you a PM but I figured I'd wait until I get my hands on the switch. Been a long time since I setup a managed switch properly so I'll be going through that thread, as well as reading up the next couple weeks. That mega thread is the reason I went after the ICX6450. I had hoped to get a 24P for the power savings aspect, but couldn't find one for anywhere near as cheap as the 48P. shame. Looking forward to getting my 10Gbe Fiber link running through it from my desktop to my server.
just be sure to follow the update/config guide linked in the OP and you'll be set up and ready 2 go

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
I bought a couple of NOS Cisco 1815i running mobility express for about $50ea. sets up nicely, will go "flush" against the ceiling (the edges aren't beveled) for a slightly cleaner look.

Once you set the "main" unit set up, the subsequent units are just plug and play. I guess they run LLDP/CDP to advertise themselves. They also have plug and play Mesh functionality, although I haven't had the chance to set that up. The GUI is relatively effortless but spartan. The CLI is pretty funky past the initial configuration wizard where it runs a AP-type shell which you can then also step back into a lower level Cisco CLI. From the CLI the configuration choices are limitless and frankly somewhat daunting, because it's awfully easy to screw something up there.

Rangewise, it was about the same as my UAP-AC-Lite and just below the UAP-AC-Pro, however I lost my controller several weeks back and one fine day my ICX6250-C12 switch rebooted and the UAP lost my config & SSID, even though that wasn't supposed to happen. But then again, that's the case with Ubiquiti - works fine until you hit a snag somewhere. :D

I seem to have a wall in one of my rooms somewhere with some shielding inside, because all the APs lose 80% of signal despite only being 20' away. Quite annoying and probably going to setup the mesh unit there since I have no cabling run.

Was tempted to try out the Ruckus, but the pricing on the Cisco units were pretty decent. So maybe next time?

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
Well the older ruckus units appear to be selling cheap cheap on the bay, so you could always mess with one for fun if you really want to. I'm in Canada, and with the borders essentially closed to travel right now (I live 15 mins north of the line and pickup from a PO box in the USA usually) I am stuck finding someone that will a) ship to Canada at all, and b) not charge me $80 to do it... oy. Funny how so much will ship free in the contiguous 48, but I have to pay $5o to drive it just a few miles further north. :(