[Need Advise] 25+ft SFP+ Cable?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Hi,

I apologize if this is not the right spot to ask for advise regarding Networking. Please move the post if so.

I have a 10Gb SFP+ switch in one room and 1Gb switch with SFP+ uplinks in the other room. I would love to connect these two switches with a SFP+ cable for 10Gb bandwidth for devices between both rooms.

Question/Problem:
How do I connect two SFP+ ports that are more than 25 ft far apart? Is it even possible?

I was looking at Cat6 solutions since the cable is pretty reasonable and supports 10Gb. But the 10Gb Ethernet switches are too expensive for home lab.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
For distances up to 30 ft (10 meter) you can use passive dac cables., for more you will need active copper cables (up to 15 meter) or better fiber cables and sfp+ transceivers.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
For 25 ft I'd just use fiber. It's more reliable and generally easier to run than a copper DAC cable (though you do have to be careful about crush and bend radius).

A couple of SR optical SFP+ and a 30 ft fiber cable shouldn't be too expensive.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Fiber is the way to go for anything longer distance than within a rack or 2, and unless you have existing 10Gbase-T ports on both sides to use cat6 with. The optics are pretty inexpensive ($15-17 new, cheaper used if you buy a few at a time) and getting OM3 or better cable is also inexpensive these days unless you need armored or high-flex cable which will add a slight premium.

The places in china like fiber store to order from are fine, they just have a big hit on shipping and the time to get items to you makes it less practical for small orders. Look through the forums for your switch vendor(s) and see if they have any vendor lock on the optics (HPE being a big offender). From the vendor's site they should have the part numbers of the SFP+ SR (short-range) modules that work with your switches. I would start by looking for those part numbers on ebay to find a pair of modules that will work and then get a 10M long OM4 patch cable with LC connectors on both ends to plug into the modules directly. If you are going to run things in walls and want to do keystone jacks, you just use LC-LC inserts in the faceplate and then a short jumper from the wall to your equipment.

For SR stuff, you want to stick with multi-mode cable, OM3 or better. The lasers will be 850nm (if it says 1350 watch out that is LR gear and you can't mix the 2). Connectors are going to be LC for normal SFP+ modules, but if you have an older switch with XENPACK or X2 or physically larger modules then you need SC in that case. Checking the vendor's site for the switch should likes the modules it supports and the fiber connector type for that module.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
For distances up to 30 ft (10 meter) you can use passive dac cables., for more you will need active copper cables (up to 15 meter) or better fiber cables and sfp+ transceivers.
Thanks. I am still learning about SFP and wasn't aware it made Passive and Active cables. I will have to read-up on what those are.

For 25 ft I'd just use fiber. It's more reliable and generally easier to run than a copper DAC cable (though you do have to be careful about crush and bend radius).

A couple of SR optical SFP+ and a 30 ft fiber cable shouldn't be too expensive.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I'm assuming the fiber cable comes with SFP ports on each end? I am still new to Fiber and SFP things.

Fiber is the way to go for anything longer distance than within a rack or 2, and unless you have existing 10Gbase-T ports on both sides to use cat6 with. The optics are

Checking the vendor's site for the switch should likes the modules it supports and the fiber connector type for that module.
So you are saying just because it has SFP+ on each end, it may not necessarily work with the switches? That's good to know! I was under the assumption that it's like RJ45 - if it fits, it works!

These are the two switches I have:

1.) Quanta LB6M 10GB 24-Port SFP+ Switch QY139A - Switch Catalog (I couldn't find datasheet)
2.) Cisco SGE2010 40GE - DataSheet

I will have to read up on the Short Range/Long Range types of cables and also the Passive/Active types. Is there a good article/blog that describes all the different types of cables/connections that uses Fiber cabling? I am new to this and already confused about needing different modules on top of Fiber cables.

Thanks!

EDIT: Added Links

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
These are the two switches I have:

1.) Quanta LB6M 10GB 24-Port SFP+ Switch QY139A - Switch Catalog (I couldn't find datasheet)
2.) Cisco SGE2010 40GE - DataSheet
So you will be fine with most any SFP+ module with the LB6M they are not vendor locked and I have not had any issues with any of the DAC or 10G optics I have used with my pair.

The Cisco SGE2010 only has 1G ports - the mini GBIC ports/SFP ports only support 1G modules, not the 10G modules that SFP+ ports on your LB6M work with. I have not tried any 1G modules in my LB6M to see if they will work. If you search through the LB6M threads here on STH someone may have tried and noted it.

If the LB6M will do 1G and 10G on the SFP+ ports, I would probably get something like this on the LB6M side 10G/1G Dual Rate (10GBASE-SR and 1000BASE-SX) 400m Multimode Datacom SFP+ Optical Transceiver | Finisar Corporation which can talk to 1000BASE-SX and 10G-SR then get the 1000BASE-SX module for your cisco switch. When you upgrade your Cisco to a 48 port unit with 10G uplinks then you can use a 10G SR SFP+ module in that switch and have 10G between the 2 switches.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
So you will be fine with most any SFP+ module with the LB6M they are not vendor locked and I have not had any issues with any of the DAC or 10G optics I have used with my pair.
Ok, that's good to hear!

The Cisco SGE2010 only has 1G ports - the mini GBIC ports/SFP ports only support 1G modules, not the 10G modules that SFP+ ports on your LB6M work with.
I really thought it was 10Gb :(
I might just purchase another LB6M. Would I be able to use the 4 x 1Gb ports data on LB6M to LACP with another managed 1Gb switch for small devices that don't have/need 10Gb?

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
Generally, when transmission distance is 1 m (about 3.3ft) to 7 m(about 23ft), you may need a passive direct attach copper cable, an active direct attach copper cable is usually used for distance uo to 15 m (about 45ft), but their supporting link lengths vary from vendor to vendor. Fiber optic transceiver and fiber patch cable is more expensive than DAC cable, but it can provide more stable neworking performance. If you take budget into condideration, it seems like a DAC cable is more suitable for your nework.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
Generally, when transmission distance is 1 m (about 3.3ft) to 7 m(about 23ft), you may need a passive direct attach copper cable, an active direct attach copper cable is usually used for distance uo to 15 m (about 45ft), but their supporting link lengths vary from vendor to vendor. Fiber optic transceiver and fiber patch cable is more expensive than DAC cable, but it can provide more stable neworking performance. If you take budget into condideration, it seems like a DAC cable is more suitable for your nework.
I found a few 10meter Active DAC cables. How do I know which one will work with my Quanta LB6M 10GB 24-Port SFP+ Switch QY139A?
Also, do I need any other transceivers/modules for this to work? Or would I just plug this cable into SFP+ ports on both switches and it would have a 10Gb link?

Thank you for all the help, really appreciate it!

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
If you're buying from fs.com just reach out to them and let me know the two devices you'll be connecting and they'll tell you what to order. Generally they are pretty good about making sure it will work, and if it doesn't they'll exchange or refund.

Reactions: pc_doom

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
If you're buying from fs.com just reach out to them and let me know the two devices you'll be connecting and they'll tell you what to order. Generally they are pretty good about making sure it will work, and if it doesn't they'll exchange or refund.
Ah nice! I never bought from fs.com. Are they like Natex.us? Where are they based from?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I would personally avoid active DAC cables - they are not as well supported as passive ones, and more of a pain to route vs fiber.
Even new from FS, 2 10G SFP+ SR modules = $32 and then a 10m OM4 cable is $8.20 so the total is cheaper than any of those active DAC cables,

fs.com is out of China. They have done quite well for my needs but I typically buy several hundred $ at a time from them to offset the shipping costs.

Reactions: warlockedyou

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
They are in China. They sell their own branded optics and DACs as opposed to Natex who are recyclers that sell used items. They're generally well regarded.
Oh ok, when I saw them selling a few branded cables with the generic ones, I was just curious.

Actually, they have built a warehouse in Seattle, so you won't worry about the shipping any more.
Yea, that's what I was wondering about, the shipping and return policy.
I would personally avoid active DAC cables - they are not as well supported as passive ones, and more of a pain to route vs fiber.
Even new from FS, 2 10G SFP+ SR modules = $32 and then a 10m OM4 cable is $8.20 so the total is cheaper than any of those active DAC cables,

fs.com is out of China. They have done quite well for my needs but I typically buy several hundred $ at a time from them to offset the shipping costs.
Pardon my ignorance on fiber, but I would like to understand this.

Are the "10G SFP+ SR modules" like the RJ-45 and "OM4 cable" like the Cat5/Cat7 cables? Assuming that is true, what you are recommending is that instead of buying a Cat5 cable(slow and only 100Mb), I should just get some RJ-45 connectors and get a Cat7 cut from a spool and put it together myself.

Sorry about the weird analogy, but I just want to make sure I understand this clearly.

EDIT: Typos

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
The module turns electrical signals in the switch into light pulses that go down the fibre - to decipher the name it means SFP+ (the physical form-factor, same as your DACs), 10 gigabit, short range (up to 400m).

OM4 fibre is a grade of fibre, a bit like that Category of twisted pair cable. OM4 is the current highest grade of multimode fibre.

You could crimp your own Cat7, but 10Gbase-T is pickier than 1 gig, but you'd probably be ok at the distances in question. You'd also need a SFP+ to 10Gbase-T module which are a) rare as rocking horse shit and b) if you have to ask the price, you can't afford them.

Cheap compatible 3rd-party 10G SR module plus an OM4 patch cable will be very affordable and very simple to set up. The only difference with using fibre over copper is that you can't easily terminate your own cables, but pre-assembled patch cables are so cheap that it's just not worth worrying about.

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
The module turns electrical signals in the switch into light pulses that go down the fibre - to decipher the name it means SFP+ (the physical form-factor, same as your DACs), 10 gigabit, short range (up to 400m).

OM4 fibre is a grade of fibre, a bit like that Category of twisted pair cable. OM4 is the current highest grade of multimode fibre.

You could crimp your own Cat7, but 10Gbase-T is pickier than 1 gig, but you'd probably be ok at the distances in question. You'd also need a SFP+ to 10Gbase-T module which are a) rare as rocking horse shit and b) if you have to ask the price, you can't afford them.

Cheap compatible 3rd-party 10G SR module plus an OM4 patch cable will be very affordable and very simple to set up. The only difference with using fibre over copper is that you can't easily terminate your own cables, but pre-assembled patch cables are so cheap that it's just not worth worrying about.
That makes sense, thank you for the explanation.

How would I ensure that these 3 things 10G SFP+ SR modules, OM4 Cable and the Quanta LB6M switch will be able to work with each other? Is there anything I should look out for while purchasing? It seems there are different types of modules that will do different ranges and different types of fiber cables as well.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
What's the switch at the other end of the proposed 10G link? Switches can sometimes be a bit picky about the modules, but AFAIK the LB6M is happy with a generic module from somewhere like fiberstore. There are several LB6M threads on here if you have a bit of a search. You are correct that there are different types of modules with different ranges, SR is generally the cheapest and more than adequate for your use. You need to have the same type of transceiver at either end of the fibre - e.g. you can't connect an SR to an LR, it has to be SR to SR.

Once the signals are in the optical domain, things are a lot simpler. You can connect any brand of 10G-SR module to any brand of 10G-SR module with fibre and they will work fine, much like as is the case with copper networking. The only thing you need to make sure is you get the right physical connector at the end of your fibre - almost all modules are LC connectors and so you need LC fibre (but check your modules before buying the fibre!).

warlockedyou

Sep 4, 2016
What's the switch at the other end of the proposed 10G link? Switches can sometimes be a bit picky about the modules, but AFAIK the LB6M is happy with a generic module from somewhere like fiberstore. There are several LB6M threads on here if you have a bit of a search. You are correct that there are different types of modules with different ranges, SR is generally the cheapest and more than adequate for your use. You need to have the same type of transceiver at either end of the fibre - e.g. you can't connect an SR to an LR, it has to be SR to SR.

Once the signals are in the optical domain, things are a lot simpler. You can connect any brand of 10G-SR module to any brand of 10G-SR module with fibre and they will work fine, much like as is the case with copper networking. The only thing you need to make sure is you get the right physical connector at the end of your fibre - almost all modules are LC connectors and so you need LC fibre (but check your modules before buying the fibre!).
I'll lookup more threads about LB6M. I am planning on buying another LB6M for the other end of 10G link.
I am planning on ordering the same exact type of 10G-SR module for both sides of fibre cable.
Would I just get a LC/LC Single mode cable?