Need advice on Personal workstation build(newbies)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmschumsai

Oct 4, 2017
Spoiler alert: This is a Newbies questions

Hello guys, I'm looking for cheapest Dual CPU build for my hobby machine and I came across a Used
HP Proliant SL230s Gen8 which seems like the best fit for my budget. However, I don't have any knowledge in server hardware (1u,4u,left-node, chassis, barebone etc.) which I didn't care much anyway since I planned to use this machine as my personal workhorse so my only concern is how to get this machine running + connect to the network.I have attached the picture and spec that seller has provided

so here's the list that of my questions
  1. What is required (hardware wise) to get this machine running (Obviously the HDD)
  2. Can I use the Standard HDD for this rack?
  3. Do I need additional power supply?.Again, If needed. Can I use the PC
  4. Do I need to buy a rack or chassis?. I'm ok on lay this thing down on the floor if it can work
  5. (Silly question) Since there is no CD drive, Can you suggest what is the best way to install Linux os?
Please feel free to add any suggestion, comment or any resources/links will be very much appreciated.

The last time that I have built DIY pc is 15+ years ago when I'm 12 and didn't catch up with the hardware side since then.Back then the business is quite simple, you choose your desired CPU from a few ranges of Series.These days, I have to spend 3 days only for researching the CPUs specs(and OMG! when I realized that CPU cache right now is 30Mb!)

Attachments

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
That is a blade server. That’s not a traditional workstation or server bored so I doubt it’ll work for your needs at all. Why do you need dual processors?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Look in "Great Deals" on forum here.

Someone posted a single CPU E5 v1/2 that comes with a low end V2 you can replace.

I wouldn't get 2x E5-2630 (if 12 cores is enough)... get a single CPU board, and get a 12 core CPU :)
Or 10 cores at higher frequency.

That will be much nicer for a hobby workstation, IMHO, unless of course your hobby requires 16+ cores :)

Reactions: Patrick

hmschumsai

Oct 4, 2017
That is a blade server. That’s not a traditional workstation or server bored so I doubt it’ll work for your needs at all. Why do you need dual processors?
Look in "Great Deals" on forum here.

Someone posted a single CPU E5 v1/2 that comes with a low end V2 you can replace.

I wouldn't get 2x E5-2630 (if 12 cores is enough)... get a single CPU board, and get a 12 core CPU :)
Or 10 cores at higher frequency.

That will be much nicer for a hobby workstation, IMHO, unless of course your hobby requires 16+ cores :)
Thanks for your reply
Unfortunately, I didn't live in US and the reason I pick this machine because it's quite cheap.
the price + shipping(To Thailand) is around 500 USD. Used Single CPU Workstation sold here start at around 1200++ USD

what I'm planning to do which this machine ranged from run quant Algo simulator, financial modeling, and to experiment with managing VM's
Even though It can also running fine on single cpu system,but these application has been tested that It's can enjoy and utilized a multi-cpu machine

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I would still urge a single CPU unless you're going for 16+ cores on E5 v2 platform in which case you have more config options with 2x cpu.

I Understand price is a factor but why purchase a 2P motherboard with 2x CPU when a 1P motherboard with 1 cpuw ill perform better, use less power, etc...

In the US single CPU motherboards are expensive too, especially whne buying parts to DIY but if you can find items (like in Great Deals) you'll often save a lot over DIY from parts.

Maybe message seller and ask if they'll ship to Thailand? That's #1 important thing on ebay, always message seller and ASK what you want :) worse case they say no, best case you get a great deal from a simple message :) :)

Best of luck!

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
is this something that you are buying locally? if so i guess you would save a lot on shipping from US or EU. but are you not able to get anything like MB or cpu from thailand ebay for relatively cheap?

I myself would not run a blade set up unless that's all you have or you need to for a particular reason. it's too restrictive for hardware upgrades...

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
(Silly question) Since there is no CD drive, Can you suggest what is the best way to install Linux os?
USB stick. I have not put an optical drive in a machine in years. Well, I put hddvd/blueray drives in windows entertainment boxes, but not workstation/servers. USB sticks for the win.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
USB stick. I have not put an optical drive in a machine in years. Well, I put hddvd/blueray drives in windows entertainment boxes, but not workstation/servers. USB sticks for the win.
I've always had a BluRay/DVD Burner in my workstation. For Servers - iKVM FTW :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I carry an external DVD writer for the odd time I need one on a server, other than that, never use them. Workstations/ home machines are different, always handy to have one for burning discs, quick back-ups etc :)

rune-san

Feb 7, 2014
  1. What is required (hardware wise) to get this machine running (Obviously the HDD)
  2. Can I use the Standard HDD for this rack?
  3. Do I need additional power supply?.Again, If needed. Can I use the PC
  4. Do I need to buy a rack or chassis?. I'm ok on lay this thing down on the floor if it can work
  5. (Silly question) Since there is no CD drive, Can you suggest what is the best way to install Linux os
I think you're of the right understanding, but just to clarify.

1. You would need the entire blade chassis to get this running. Because it's a blade server, it's power delivery, networking fabric, and management functionality all requires a functioning Blade chassis.
2. You can, but again, without a functioning blade chassis it won't work.
3. Yes you do need a Power Supply. The Power Supplies that are built into the Blade Chassis. PC Power Supply for all generalized intent will not work.
4. Yep, the Blade Chassis
5. Flash Drive in one of the USB ports, or using the iKVM of the Blade Chassis.

Everything in those blades relies on the Blade Chassis. That's why it's so cheap vs. other servers.

As others have suggested, for $500, I'd look for one of the old Exxxx or X56xx Xeon CPUs if dual socket is really all that mattered, but by that age, you're getting really close to the juxtaposition of modern client level hardware delivering better performance (and certainly more efficient). The Dual CPU equipped Xeon platform in that price class are old, and unless multi-threading matters far far above single-thread performance buying an old Sandy Bridge based server would likely give you much more generally satisfying performance, as the single-thread performance would be drastically higher. Dell Precision T3600's with a solid amount of RAM and E5-16xx (Core CPU re-badged as Xeon and ECC unlocked) would give you way better single-threaded performance and goes for around $400 shipped in the US. Again, only getting 4-6 cores, but with Hyperthreading, I'd take an E-1650 with 6 cores over say a Dell R710 with 2 X5690's, but it really depends on how multi-threaded you need to be and if the form factor / performance / efficiency / price works out for you. I personally don't do HPE Servers because Updates are now behind the support contract paywall, so they're a bad deal from a used market standpoint.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Go to eBay (or whatever equivalent you use) and type in HP or Dell Workstation. You will find plenty of options for 1P and 2P Xeon based workstations that will be quiet, potent and best of all, allow desktop OS with Sleep Mode.

Example, I use a Dell R5500 for my daily driver.

Reactions: masesto