Need advice on media station build!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

patmoon89

Nov 25, 2016
Hey all!

I'm moving from a townhouse to a smaller condo and need to consolidate my computers.

I have two computers. My freenas server is in a fractal node 804 with my gigabyte xeon d server mobo with 6 hdds. My main desktop is in a HAF tower with a microATX and a i5-4670k with 4 hdds and 2 ssds

My wife told me I have to keep all my computer "stuff" in one area without clutter since the desk will be in the den area. Right now they're two giant cases sitting on a second desk next to my main desk with monitors.

1. Build a desk pc. I have a pretty large wooden desk that I could convert into a pc desk. Doesn't seem that hard but certainly a pain and i would have to figure out how to mount everything as well. But I would get rid of all the cases and it would be pretty svelte. Concerned a little about airflow, dust, and all that jazz.

2. Convince wife to get a little cabinet next to my desk to house both computer cases. Would probably be the easiest option but would definitely add more furniture I don't have space for.

3. Buy a dual pc case like the HAF stacker. The only issues I see with this is the size (i could get over it) but it doesn't seem like the stackers are built well for server builds. The main HAF tower would have my mATX and the mini HAF stacker would have the miniITX server mobo. But my drives would be in the main tower. All around seems like I could make it work but seems makeshifty. Not that expensive so that's a plus.

HAF Stacker 935 | Cooler Master

4. Other dual pc cases are pretty pricey. My goal is to be under 200. Thought about converting my main desktop from a mATX to a miniITX so that I use my fractal node 304. Then I'll just have two cubes (304 and 804) to deal with.

5. I guess I could also get 2 of the small HAF stackers and a MiniITX board. That way I would have 1 smaller tower (2 haf stackers). This would be one of the more expensive options since I would have to buy a new miniITX mobo and 2 stackers. But it would be a smaller footprint.

6. Get a tower/rack. Those things look pretty large and getting all the supplies/accessories seem expensive. But this is an area I have no experience in. So any input would be appreciated.

Please any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Pat

Last edited:

patmoon89

Nov 25, 2016
I have a 750w psu. Would that be enough to power my server, it's hdds, and my gaming rig?

I don't know much about sfx psu. Us that enough to power a freenas server/compatible or recommended? Can the phantek case just have 2 separate psu instead of using the splitter?

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
Have you though to go the hyper-convergence way? Get a single relatively powerful computer/server and virtualize all of your current servers. Put a good hypervisor pass through all the needed HW and you are done. The actual parts will depend of your computing needs and level of fault tolerance.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Here you go. 4 nodes cluster , each one is no bigger than 8 x 11" papaer

These are Shuttle DS87.
It would accept any desktop LGA1150 CPU, subject to TDP limit.

The mini rack is a $10 letter in/out sorter. But is make out solid steel , the old fashion one from 1960.

Attachments

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
I have a 750w psu. Would that be enough to power my server, it's hdds, and my gaming rig?

I don't know much about sfx psu. Us that enough to power a freenas server/compatible or recommended? Can the phantek case just have 2 separate psu instead of using the splitter?
i'd measure how much power your rigs run at full load first. from there you can gauge if your 750W is good enough for both. a wattmeter reading of both rigs running at 100% is a decent baseline.

if you decide not to go with the splitter, you will need to install an sfx psu for one of the boards you're running.