1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a rack? This is pretty neat.

Discussion in 'DIY and Makers Spot' started by herby, Mar 31, 2017.

1. herby

herby Member

Penn Elcom, a road/flight case hardware manufacturer sells this interesting product:
    http://www.pennelcomonline.com/us/P...and-Base--Assembly-Parts-R8230-TB/m-6260.aspx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty much an erector set to build a professional looking rack, just add the threaded or square hole rails.
    Which of course Penn Elcom makes:
    Rack Rail SQ Hole Buy Now at PennElcomOnline.com
    Rack Rail 10/32 Buy Now at PennElcomOnline.com

I'm pretty intrigued by this design. The only questions in my mind are the height and weight capacity of this set up with a few servers in it.

Aquatechie, Blinky 42 and T_Minus like this.
  2. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Hopefully you find this on track with this topic...

I was blown away by how sturdy and light weight these kits were, and also how well they went together!

I have 2 of these "Pro Kits" in square setup:
    Pro Series Server Rack Kits
    + misc accessories
    Rackmount Accessories | Server Rack Accessories

You can get top pieces, side pieces, braces, etc... I have mine loaded right now (22U iirc) with just the main frame and it's sturdy as can be! I got the top piece, and braces (1 set each) to test and just have never installed them. Now, I'll likely add some side pieces and a 3rd rack as I finish their perm. home and make sure air flow is how I want it.

I have a full size $$ rack and the only real difference of the 'rack part' itself is the $$ rack is adjustable where-as the "Pro Kit" is fixed, obviously the $$ rack has an external metal shell for protection/security, wire management, pdu, etc... so you can't really compare a full blown rack to a bare bones rack frame.

Anyway, I'm really happy with my StarCase.com rack and will be buying more!

3. herby

herby Member

Nice I like those too, especially the sized doors they sell.

...but I gotta say mine's (slightly) cheaper ;)

Actually the reason I might buy the Penn Elcom kit is I can see some easy mods.

For example drilling and tapping some angle iron to make my own horizontal cross members instead of using their rack rails, or putting a second set of rails towards the back for shallower but still 4 post gear.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017