Need a link to up to date instructions on setting up Linux RDP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Tons and tons of info out there but all I can find is outdated garbage. Need to remote into a Linux Mint box from both Windows and Linux. I'd prefer the instructions be less than 300 pages and doesn't assume anything. I'm familiar with Remmina. It's great when remoting into a Windows box from Linux but not so great when remoting into a Linux box.

Yea, I know I'm asking for a lot but please help if you can.

TIA

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Code:
sudo apt-get install x11rdp
If you have a general desktop system, that should be enough. Sometimes the service isn't started automatically, in which case you can enable and start it using systemctl.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Code:
sudo apt-get install x11rdp
If you have a general desktop system, that should be enough. Sometimes the service isn't started automatically, in which case you can enable and start it using systemctl.
Doesn't work. "Can't find package x11rdp" :(

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Got it to work using freerdp. Also works with Remmina. :)

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Yeah, it depends on what the package of choice is for Linux Mint. x11rdp was the lowest common denominator, but with wayland as a choice and FreeRDP it's getting more and more "it depends on your distro" until they all have caught up with each other and use the same packages again.

FreeRDP does have a benefit over the older RDP server implementations as it is faster and has more features, so that's a big benefit for you, Fritz :cool: This also applies to any RDP client, I think Remmina has started to use the freerdp client library since Gnome 3 was released so it should now be fast both on the server and the client side:D

Reactions: Fritz