Need a CPU Cooler/Heatsink recommendation for an upgrade

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Hi all--

I've been using STH as a resource for a long time but never had the need to register until now. I'm upgrading a really old, X3470 Supermicro X8 in a Norco 4220 chassis to a SM X10DRH-iT with dual e5-2680 v3's. I'm wondering if anyone has a solid recommendation on the route to go? I'll be replacing the 80mm fan chassis plane with a 120mm at the same time. Equipment sits in a garage that's decently insulated so sound isn't a big concern.

Thanks for any and all advice!

pinkanese

Jun 19, 2014
If noise isn't a concern best bet is probably teh Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4. You can usually get them used for pretty cheap, just make sure it comes with the narrow ILM bracketry.

Reactions: safado

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
If noise isn't a concern best bet is probably teh Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4. You can usually get them used for pretty cheap, just make sure it comes with the narrow ILM bracketry.
Agree. If sound isn't a concern, just keep it simple.

There are some Noctua options that will fit a 4u if you do care more about noise.

Reactions: safado

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Thank you!!! I sincerely appreciate the advice everyone--thank you so much. I had looked at the Noctua's but wasn't sure about the heatsink layout and which would/wouldn't work. I'll keep in simple and stick to the SNK-P0050AP4. Much appreciated!