Need a 2U riser

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
I'm looking for a 2U riser for my X9SCL motherboard. I've tried looking through the Supermicro matrix but I can't make heads or tails of it.

RSC-D2R-668G4

Looks like it may be right, but I just need an x8 slot going into whatever slots I can get. Can anyone recommend something for me?
Help?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
If you're trying to use a riser card to split a single PCIe x8 slot into multiple slots (two PCIe x4 for example), I don't think that's possible with an X9SCL. That board doesn't support slot bifurcation on its own. The most you can do with a standard Supermicro riser is turn one of the x8 slots 90 degrees.

To bifurcate an individual slot on an X9SCL (i.e. split a PCIe x8 into two PCIe x4), you'd need a riser that includes an onboard switch (PLX chip or similar). I don't believe Supermicro makes them. There's sources for them, but they tend to be quite expensive. I'm not familiar with those myself though, so I can't offer any advice other than that they tend to be pricey.

If you can get by with turning a single slot 90 degrees, I believe these will work, but I can't absolutely guarantee it:

RSC-R2U-E8 (x8 to x8)
RSC-R2UG-E8G-X9 (x8 to x16 physical) this is still x8 electrically, but allows fitting of a single slot GPU