Need 10gb sfp+ transceivers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Sep 22, 2015
Can anyone recommend some 10gb sfp+ LC transceivers for use with MM fiber and Mellanox ConnectX2 nics? I already have the fiber and the NICS.

I would prefer not to use Fiberstore as my orders with them have taken weeks to ship and they aren't exactly responsive to my queries. Anyone have an alternate source? Ebay?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rain

Rain

May 13, 2013
I'm interested in this as well as I'm probably going to be ordering OM4 and transceivers from Fiberstore at some point in the near future, but if there is a better option, I'm all ears!

Brady Webb

Jan 24, 2015
I know your preference isn't fiberstore, but their transceivers work very well. I've used them in brocade 1020 cards, emc-8000b switches, a watchguard m440, as well as a number of netgear switches with 10g trunks. All work flawlessly.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I have a rep there that is pretty good, Daisy. I can send contact info if you want. If you buy a lot, can qualify for a business account with automatic discounts. That's what I did.

ehfortin

Nov 1, 2015
I know your preference isn't fiberstore, but their transceivers work very well. I've used them in brocade 1020 cards, emc-8000b switches, a watchguard m440, as well as a number of netgear switches with 10g trunks. All work flawlessly.
Which model of transceiver from FS did you use on the Brocade 1020? Did it work in all mode (FCoE and NIC)? I'm having problem figuring these informations.

Thank you.

Ehfortin

Mrlie

Jan 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I have a rep there that is pretty good, Daisy. I can send contact info if you want. If you buy a lot, can qualify for a business account with automatic discounts. That's what I did.
Daisy replied to an email I sendt in just 17 minutes this week, reguarding a $230 order.
Now, if Daisy is really a person or just an account/name shared by all their customer support people I have no knowledge about, but if she is based in HK/China, the local time was 11.34pm sunday night when I received the mail.

Brady Webb

Jan 24, 2015
Which model of transceiver from FS did you use on the Brocade 1020? Did it work in all mode (FCoE and NIC)? I'm having problem figuring these informations.

Thank you.

Ehfortin
I've used the SFP-10G85-3M-BR. I can't speak as far as FCoE, but as a NIC, it's plug and play. I could be wrong here, but I believe that it the only things that matter on the SFP are the brand compatibility and speed, so I think that FCoE should work fine, the encapsulation is done on the card before it gets turned into light so it should work regardless.

dslv

Nov 13, 2015
We have used Prolabs in the past and had no issues with then. I have a few lying around here somewhere that you can use to test if you like?

ehfortin

Nov 1, 2015
We have used Prolabs in the past and had no issues with then. I have a few lying around here somewhere that you can use to test if you like?
Do you know what kind of price they sell these? They dont publish price on their website. The fibrestore are really cheap which mean interesting for a home lab.

I dont have the card yet. I read lot of post about those card and the issues with dac and sfp+ and want to make sure I have a working setup before ordering anything. With the exchange rate, the customs charge and the shipping cost of all those parts, a mistake can be costly. I'm looking at 4 hosts and a switch like the dgs-1510-28x which offer 4x 10gbps for a good price brand new. Thats why i'm looking at optical sfp instead od dac as sometime, the card and the switch are not expecting the samething. With optical, i can bring appropriate sfp for each device.

Thank you for the offering.

Ehfortin

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Mellanox are not vendor locked so anything is fine. I think we ordered ours programmed for Cisco or something, since we could.

ehfortin

Nov 1, 2015
Mellanox are not vendor locked so anything is fine. I think we ordered ours programmed for Cisco or something, since we could.
Great news. Thank you.

I just found that the dlink sfp+ is available at SF so I guess I pretty much figured the whole kit.

Ehfortin

Mrlie

Jan 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Great news. Thank you.

I just found that the dlink sfp+ is available at SF so I guess I pretty much figured the whole kit.

Ehfortin
I have the D-Link DGS-1510-28X and I bought a few D-Link DEM-431XT-DD Compatible 10GBASE-SR SFP+ from Fiberstore.com. I also have a few Finisar FTLX8571D3BNL-E5.
The switch detects temperatures and watt-useage from the tranceivers (the Finisar ones ran hotter than the ones from Fiberstore, in a completely idle switch. About 34C/94F vc 43C/110F).

Just got a call from DHL that my NICs have arrived and will be delivered in a couple of hours, so I will be able to test/verify that the hardware I've bought will actually work or not, later today.

ehfortin

Nov 1, 2015
I have the D-Link DGS-1510-28X and I bought a few D-Link DEM-431XT-DD Compatible 10GBASE-SR SFP+ from Fiberstore.com. I also have a few Finisar FTLX8571D3BNL-E5.
The switch detects temperatures and watt-useage from the tranceivers (the Finisar ones ran hotter than the ones from Fiberstore, in a completely idle switch. About 34C/94F vc 43C/110F).

Just got a call from DHL that my NICs have arrived and will be delivered in a couple of hours, so I will be able to test/verify that the hardware I've bought will actually work or not, later today.
Great. Let us know how it goes. Which NIC are you getting and with which SFP+?

Thank you. Good luck with the tests!

ehfortin

Mrlie

Jan 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Just finished testing, and everything works.

The D-Link switch accepts both tranceivers I had, from Finisar and Fiberstore.
I bought a few Intel X520-DA2 NICs and it too accept both brands of tranceivers I have.

(sorry for highjacking thread btw OP :))