NEC 9362-8i Raid Controller has no Raid 5,6,50,60 options?

zeadlots

Jun 30, 2020
Hello, I recently purchased this card on ebay. I installed the card into my supermicro server and put in 7 of my new sas drives. I can see all the drives, but when I go to create a new volume, my only options are Raid 0,1,00,10. The firmware is fully up to date from the broadcom site. I have also checked the boot menu CTRL-R and that has the same problem. When I attempt to create a volume I don't see Raid 6 which is the one I want.

The firmware was an old version from 2014 when the card arrived. I'd love some advice. Perhaps the new firmware was the problem? If so, where would I find the old NEC firmware? Love to know anyone's thoughts. (FYI - I used the 9361-8i firmware)

Attachments

zeadlots

Jun 30, 2020
I have already flashed it. I sent an email to the ebay seller yesterday and they responded back saying that the auction did not include the "hardware key" that is required to unlock the raid 5/6/50/60 functionality. Looks like I got fooled.

Attachments

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
What's the full NEC N8103-XXX part number on the card?

zeadlots

Jun 30, 2020
Just ordered the hardware key from china. Looks like I'm going to be waiting another month minimum before I can get my server back up and running....

Take a lesson from my mistakes! Don't try to save money by ordering an older product from overseas. Just bite the bullet and get a new product from a local seller and save all this hassle. I'll throw in an update in here when the key get's here. Thanks for the tips.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Don't try to save money by ordering an older product from overseas.
It seems that you have learned the wrong lesson. Your main mistake was not doing your homework before ordering a product you were unfamiliar with.

Reactions: Whaaat

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
There some broadcom controllers that only support raid 0/1/10 and support for up to 8 devices. Enough for boot devices or raids that don't need storage efficiency.

rid2000

Aug 19, 2020
Hello, I recently purchased this card on ebay. I installed the card into my supermicro server and put in 7 of my new sas drives. I can see all the drives, but when I go to create a new volume, my only options are Raid 0,1,00,10. The firmware is fully up to date from the broadcom site. I have also checked the boot menu CTRL-R and that has the same problem. When I attempt to create a volume I don't see Raid 6 which is the one I want.

The firmware was an old version from 2014 when the card arrived. I'd love some advice. Perhaps the new firmware was the problem? If so, where would I find the old NEC firmware? Love to know anyone's thoughts. (FYI - I used the 9361-8i firmware)
Hello!
Please share your experience of how you managed to use the LSI 9361 firmware to update this card. Does this require any special steps, or can I use the latest firmware from the Broadcom website and MegaRAID Storage Manager to flash it?
Thank you.