NEC 9362-8i patrol read drive drops but seems fine?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ozorfis

Apr 3, 2022
Hi there,

I am running a NEC 9362-8i crossflashed to LSI 9361-8i (latest firmware) with a Intel RES2SV240 (latest firmware) expander.
Logical Drives:
- Raid 6: 12 x (5-6) TB
- 2 x single drives volumes
- a unconfigured drive

The system runs well, but I have one issue:

When I run a patrol read on the Raid 6 volume its always the same drive that drops and directly reconnects. The patrol read completes on all other drives without issue. So i let the dropped drive rebuilt without issues. When I start the patrol read again the same drive that just has rebuilt will drop again immediatley. I can also force the drive back online without issues, if no data was written of course. The drive is a WD Gold sata 6 TB and looks healthy in SMART. All the Raid 6 volume drives are connected through the expander the other drives are conencted to the 9362-8i directly.

I had issues with randomly dropping WD-red sata drives in the past - that was solved with the RES2SV240 firmware update. Maybe that is still a remaining issue of that expander even with the latest firmware. I attached the error logs, if of intereset.

Any further ideas what might be going on with the patrol read?

Many thanks

Attachments

ozorfis

Apr 3, 2022
I replaced the Sata breakout cable and now it works - still a little strange that it only showed on patrol read.

Case closed