NAS - New Build ( Advice & Recommendations)

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by fonz, Jun 24, 2018.

1. fonz

fonz New Member

Build’s Name: Lion
    Operating System/ Storage Platform: KVM (CentOS) or ESXi
    CPU: Intel - Xeon E3-1220 V5 3GHz Quad-Core
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSH-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236
    Chassis: U-NAS NSC- 810A
    Drives: 8x Western Digital - Red 6TB 3.5" 5400RPM
    RAM: 2x Kingston - ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Add-in Cards: n/a
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S S-350M1U S S-350M1U 3 50W ATX12V
    Other Bits:

Usage Profile: Hypervisor / Media / Sandbox / NAS / Monitoring

Other information…

Hi all, I am fairly new to this forum and was just looking to get some advice/guidance on a new build I am planning on building. I researched some parts and put together I build that I feel like would be powerful enough for my needs. I am planning on the main box being a hypervisor and spinning up VM's as needed ( FreeNAS / ubuntu / windows ).

My build is inspired by @K D Zeus V2, with some newer parts, please comment on what you think of the build and any parts you think might work better or might be overkill for the build. I am a little worried about temps since the CPU has TDP of 80W. Still looking to see if I can find a better cooler that fits into the case. Anyways please let me know your thoughts!! thank you

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zz7H3b