Narrow ILM watercooling?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
hmmm... I think I may actually have one of those in the closet...
But I was planning on doing a custom loop...interesting.

C4PPY

Jun 14, 2013
Denmark
Asrock ships the x99 version with a bracket for CoolerMaster and Corsair AIO watercoolers. Where in the world are you? I might have an extra bracket.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Patriot i came across this post looking got small mATX or ATX cases for an E5 v4 build and wondering about cooling.
Did you ever build one of these mITX boards ??
ASRock also has a board that will take big rdimm but only 2 so it's really a workstation board limited to 64gb.

Sorry to revive a thread so old :-O

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I have the ASRock desktop board (X99E-ITX/ac) and an E5 v3 Xeon as my desktop. Been very pleased with it and how small it can be when paired with an NCASE M1. It also supports NVMe (both M.2 and U.2) unlike the server board mentioned in this thread. It actually supports up to 128GB DIMMs and I've seen someone cram 256GB into it, so you won't be limited to 64GB.

As for cooling, you could use a Corsair H105 like I used to. I've since switched to all air cooling however as Noctua makes some decent stuff that fits the narrow ILM.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@BlueFox if 64gb rdimm was even remotely affordable then yes your right but the quadrupling of the price from 32gb to 64gb and who knows what to 128gb is not very attractive, but I would be open to swapping with somebody a qty of 16 or 32gb for 64gb rdimm or 128gb lrdimm is people are stuck with theses huge sizes ;)

As a workstation MB it's however pretty cool piece of kit :) (and as a pure workatation 64gb is usually fine also)

What cooling are you using now in the M1 ?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Quick bit of research shows that 64GB DIMMs are about double the price of 32GB ones? Not sure where you're seeing 4x the price (retail?). Can be had for ~$500 on eBay.

As for my cooler, currently using a Noctua NH-U9DXi4.

Only thing missing in my opinion is 10GbE, but can't have it all, not to mention very little demand and space considerations. Maybe someone will make a SATA Express to PCIe adapter so I can use the third slot in the case (not sure if that's even possible though).

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
@Patriot i came across this post looking got small mATX or ATX cases for an E5 v4 build and wondering about cooling.
Did you ever build one of these mITX boards ??
ASRock also has a board that will take big rdimm but only 2 so it's really a workstation board limited to 64gb.

Sorry to revive a thread so old :-O
Yes, its one of my main desktops.
1680v3 16gb ram and 1080ti. :)

You can buy narrow adapters on ebay for AIO loops.
Asetek Liquid Cooler Intel 2011 NARROW Retention Ring Kit | eBay

started with a passive cooler...

That sucker may have overheated if I left the front panel on.

@Shadow_x found the adapter for me and now I have an H55 on it.

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Phanteks have some decent sized although order smaller mATX cases and then I would just use x10srm board which is cheaper on any case compared to the gigabyte or asrock mini itx boards

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
If memory serves, the Corsair H55 works fine for this.

On Dual E5-2680v2 mining cryptonight, temps are fantastic, and it lowers power use and noise noticably vs using 1u or 2u heatsinks / fans.