napp-it Windows Sharing Permissions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

russellkt

Dec 23, 2016
I'm wanting to replace a Windows Server 2012 File Server with napp-it but am confused by how to set the permissions. I'm certainly not opposed to buying a pro extension but would like to be able to manage from within Windows as well. I mapped my domain user account to root and it is showing the ownership to my domain account as opposed to root so am assuming all is working correctly there. However the Share permissions under Advanced Sharing are greyed out

upload_2020-2-7_11-31-50.png

I found a post where I can change using the fsmgmt.msc plugin but can only find how to change the share permissions on the root share. What I'd like to do is be able to also change the sharing permissions on folders underneath the root zfs share. I am able to change the actual permissions on the folders and files but not the sharing permissions like on Windows. Where I'm at now is the following, I could set up nested zfs folders and manage using the fsmgmt.msc or buy the pro acl extension or use chmod. Is this correct? Or should I not worry about the sharing permissions and just worry about the actual permissions on the files and folders. Sorry if I am missing something but appreciate any feedback.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can modify files and folder permissions from Windows. Best is to SMB connect as root (in an AD environment a user with an idmapping to root). From Windows you should only avoid to use deny rules (for deny rules you need the ACL extension) as Windows first checks deny then allow rules while Solaris respects order of rules.

If you want to modify share permissions, you must SMB connect as a user that is a member of the SMB group administrators on Solarish. Then open computer management on Windows and connect to Solarish. You can then change share permissions (a share off/on resets share permissions to default).

Do not forget that SMB shares are a strict property of a ZFS filesystem on Solarish. This is why snaps (a filesystem item)=Windows previous versions works out of the box (unlike SAMBA). You cannot set share permissions on simple folders within a share (file/folder permissions only).

Nested ZFS filesystems can give a lot of troubles. On OmniOS you can traverse from a parent SMB share to daughter filesystems with smb sharing enabled but as snaps are a filesystem property and each filesystem can have different settings, from character set, case sensitivity to ACL behaviours this is the best way to seek and find problems. On Solaris you cannot traverse and on OmniOS I would avoid.

russellkt

Dec 23, 2016
@gea Thanks so much for the reply! Sounds like my best approach is to setup ZFS shares avoiding nested shares for logical groupings, adjust Share Permissions using Windows Computer Management, and then utilize File and Folder Permissions to segregate out for specific users on the Sub Files and Folders.