Napp-IT --> QNAP Migration

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm temporarily moving my (small) amount of home data from my existing Napp-IT (virtualized) to a 2-bay mirrored QNAP Setup.

Within Napp-IT usage for each file system comes to: 958GB excluding any 'reserved space.

I've copied all files to QNAP already via Windows Explorer (Terra Copy gave me memory errors).

QNAP is reporting (after sitting 5hrs after completion) 597GB usage. (Right after copy it took a couple hours to update to this #.)

I'm curious:
- Is Napp-IT the same usage as QNAP due to the file system
- Any way to pull 'actual' usage in ZFS?

Suggested tools I can run in windows to compare QNAP to Napp-IT files to make sure I didn't miss any?

This is just a precaution, my POOL Version is 5000.

My goal is to simply import the pool into FreeNAS after I build a baremetal FreeNAS setup for home. QNAP data\backup is just to be 100% I have my data in another location :D :D

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Disk usage on ZFS covers data (optionally less when compressed or deduped, see compress or dedup ratio) + space blocked for snaps + space for zvols + a possible reservation (guarantee that this space remains available). You can use a "zfs list -o space filesystem" that gives you the amount of space used by data, snaps and reservations. You then only need to subtract zvols (ZFS filesystems used as a blockdevice/ like a disk) to calculate amount of data to transfer. Zvols can only be transferred via zfs send to a file or another ZFS filesystem. Due checksums data usage on ZFS is a little higher than on ext4 without checksums.

You can transfer data via Windows (I prefer robocopy, must copy 2x data over network) or you can use rsync in daemon mode on the Qnap. Rsync and robocopy can be used in "sync" mode with a log that shows copy/sync problems and both can incrementally update data.

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
ZFS: 657GB
QNAP: 597GB

Look about right for the ZFS overhead, much better than before :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
MOS Configuration:
version: 5000
name: 'storage'
state: 0

Is this version sufficient enough to import into FreeNAS the pool directly?
That's my ultimate goal :D