napp-it/omniosce change smb volume name

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RonanR

Jul 27, 2018
Hi,
Quick question: how can I change the reported volume name of a smb share, or make it the same as the share name?
Indeed, I got some softwares which are reporting the volume name instead of the share name, so it's quite confusing when you have several shares mounted.
For example, I created a ZFS filesytem called Media1 and activated the smb share.
On the share properties, Windows report the root volume name, which is ssd-pool, and not the share name.
smb share name.PNG

Many thanks in advance for your help!

RonanR

Jul 27, 2018
As I didn't find any parameter in Solarish smb server, I found out that changing the mount point of my zfs volume to a folder at the root of the volume does the trick.
Any idea how to automate this on zfs fs creation using napp-it?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I am not sure if I understood correctly.

I suppose you mean a ZFS filesystem when you call it volume. With the Solarish kernelbased SMB server, a NFS or SMB share is a property of a ZFS filesystem. When you simply set smbshare to on, the default sharename is equal to the name of the filesystem but you can set it to another name during sharing. With napp-it you can set the sharename in the sharing dialog under ZFS filesystems - SMB.

As a manual, you can use Solaris 11 Express manuals (Illumos is more or less a fork of Solaris11 Express) as SMB sharing of current Solaris 11.3/4 is a little different.
https://archive.is/o/snZaS/docs.oracle.com/cd/E19963-01/pdf/821-1449.pdf

At console you can also call
man zfs

and check all options of the command
zfs set sharesmb

Last edited:

RonanR

Jul 27, 2018
Hi gea,
I'm not talking about the sharename, but really about the root folder, I inappropriately called volume, reported by the smb server.

FYI, I created a drive pool named ssd-pool on which I created a first zfs filesystem called global and then I created inside global my everyday shared filesystems (media1, project1, etc.)

If you look at the screenshot on the first post, you will see that my mapped share has the proper name, media1, but when you look at the share properties it shows the name of the root folder, ssd-pool.
It's important for me as I got softwares like Davinci Resolve or Avid MediaComposer which reports the name displayed on the mapped share properties and not the sharename.

I was wondering if there was an option anywhere to set the reported root directory.
As I didn't find this option, I found out that if I change the zfs mountpoint to /media1 instead of /ssd-pool/global/media1, I get the correct name displayed as my root directory is media1.

If there is no other way to set the root directory property, I was wondering if setting the zfs mountpoint to /zfsname instead of the default /poolname/zfsname was a possible feature you can add on Napp-it on a future release.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Modifying the physical mountpoint of a ZFS filesystem would break a lot of things in napp-it and would make the whole ZFS structure quite chaotic

Maybe you can set the desired behaviour with sharemgr see at console
man sharemgr

ex with the path settings

see also How to Modify CIFS Share Properties (sharemgr) (Solaris CIFS Administration Guide) (but be aware that a current Solaris behaves a little different, therefor follow the man sharemgr description of your OS)

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I havent noticed this before but this seems to be the case with FreeNAS as well. The one on the left is OmniOS and the right is FreeNAS. The other issue I see is that OmniOS seems to be reporting the capacity incorrectly. It shows the capacity as (Used Space of this particular zfs filesystem + Free Space) not the total capacity of the pool.

2018-08-07 08_11_44-Window.png

RonanR

Jul 27, 2018
I tried to set the share using the share manager but i didn't see how I can specify the root directory I want. The sharepath properties has to be the correct path, it is not a simple metadata. I didn't find any other way to set this property.
If you or anyone have any idea for setting this, it will be very great.

For now, I checked the zfs create scripts and modified them to add the mountpoint option to /fsname using your variable value_new, and modified accordingly all places where the folder path is used "/$in{'autoselect_pool'}/$in{'value_new'} to "/$in{'value_new'} and so far I didn't get any strange behavior (note: I only modified the folder path and not the zfs path, which is still $in{'autoselect_pool'}/$in{'value_new'}).

I will also continue my investigation and let you know if I found something.