napp-it/OmniOS User Account Issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

I recently deleted my primary VM of OmniOS with napp-it on ESXi v5.1. I am new to all of this, and changed around a lot of settings for learning/testing/stressing purposes.

I finally built a new OmniOS VM from scratch. Re-installed OmniOS, but this time imported my 30TB pool, which is 10x 3TB in RAIDZ2. Everything works great however I had a user name on it called ZzBloopzZ. napp-it would not show this user after importing the pool, so I tried to make a new user with ZzBloopzZ. However, I kept getting an error that the user name was too long. How strange! As I had it set with that name before. Thus I created a user named Bloop.

However, once I looked at ACL Folder shares, I noticed the folders on the pool still had permissions for ZzBloopzZ and my current account Bloop. ZzBloopzZ still does not show under "Local User with SMB password". I proceeded to delete all instances of ZzBloopzZ under ACL on Folders for all directories. I then tried to re-create ZzBloopzZ user under "Local User with SMB password", but same error "UX: /usr/sbin/useradd: ERROR: ZzBloopzZ is already in use. Choose another."

How can I correct this and what did I do wrong?

This is all learning for me, and I am enjoying the journey!

Thank You.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Hello,

I recently deleted my primary VM of OmniOS with napp-it on ESXi v5.1. I am new to all of this, and changed around a lot of settings for learning/testing/stressing purposes.

I finally built a new OmniOS VM from scratch. Re-installed OmniOS, but this time imported my 30TB pool, which is 10x 3TB in RAIDZ2. Everything works great however I had a user name on it called ZzBloopzZ. napp-it would not show this user after importing the pool, so I tried to make a new user with ZzBloopzZ. However, I kept getting an error that the user name was too long. How strange! As I had it set with that name before. Thus I created a user named Bloop.

However, once I looked at ACL Folder shares, I noticed the folders on the pool still had permissions for ZzBloopzZ and my current account Bloop. ZzBloopzZ still does not show under "Local User with SMB password". I proceeded to delete all instances of ZzBloopzZ under ACL on Folders for all directories. I then tried to re-create ZzBloopzZ user under "Local User with SMB password", but same error "UX: /usr/sbin/useradd: ERROR: ZzBloopzZ is already in use. Choose another."

Thank You.
some basics
you have Unix users with a Unix UID and Unix passwords
max length of usernames is 8 on some Unix systems, newer ones allow longer names
but sometimes you get a warning when using longer names but they are accepted (mostly Solaris behaves like this)

you have Windows/SMB users on your Unix system
max length of SMB user names is 256 on Windows. Passwords have a different format to Unix and must be stored
separately in /var/smb/smbpasswd. User credidentials/ACL on Solaris can be based on UID and on Windows SID.
(This is very important with Windows Domains as you can move pools to another server and the ACLs keep intact).
If you have setup the Solaris CIFS server, the extra SMB password is generated automatically on a passwd user

User information are not stored in a pool but on your systemdisk (rpool) so they are lost on a new setup
unless you have not backupped the files.

Unix users and SMB users are the same beside different passwords and the UID/SID difference.
You must keep the name rules of Unix and Windows SMB groups are different from Unix groups.
The Solaris CIFS server offers its own Windows compatible SMB group management.

ACLs on files are only references to a user. If the user is missing/ deleted or from an unconnected AD-Domain,
the reference stay intact. You can recreate the user or rejoin the domain or reset the ACLs (like on Windows)

Easiest way:
Use napp-it menu user to create/ delete combined Unix/SMB users and groups.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Hello,

Thank You.
some basics
you have Unix users with a Unix UID and Unix passwords
max length of usernames is 8 on some Unix systems newer ones allow longer names
but sometimes you get a warning when using longer names but they are accepted (mostly Solaris behaves like this)

you have Windows/SMB users on your Unix system
max length of SMB user names is 256 on Windows. Passwords have a different format to Unix and must be stored
separately in /var/smb/smbpasswd. User credidentials on Solaris are not based on UID but on Windows SID.
If you have setup the Solaris CIFS server, the extra SMB password is generated automatically on a passwd user

User information are not stored in a pool but on your systemdisk (rpool) so they are lost on a new setup
unless you have not backupped the files.

Unix users and SMB users are the same beside different passwords and the UID/SID difference.
You must keep the name rules of Unix and Windows. SMB groups are different from Unix groups.
The Solaris CIFS server offers its own Windows compatible SMB group management.

ACLs on files are only references to a user. If the user is missing/ deleted or from an unconnected AD-Domain,
the reference stay intact. You can recreate the user or rejoin the domain or reset the ACLs (like on Windows)

Easiest way:
Use napp-it menu user to create/ delete combined Unix/SMB users and groups.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Thank you for the information!

But what exactly do I do now to delete ZzBloopzZ? It is not showing up under "SMB User and Group-management."

Is there a command in OmniOS I can type to delete all associations for ZzBloopzZ? Should I just destroy the pool and start over? I don't have much important data on it.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Thank you for the information!

But what exactly do I do now to delete ZzBloopzZ? It is not showing up under "SMB User and Group-management."

Is there a command in OmniOS I can type to delete all associations for ZzBloopzZ? Should I just destroy the pool and start over? I don't have much important data on it.
Users are not stored within a pool, so a pool destroy will not help.
You can just do a passwd ZzBloopzZ
this will create a SMB password beside the Unix pw and ZzBloopzZ is listed under SMB users within napp-it.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Had a unix admin in the family correct the issue for me. He deleted all instances of ZzBloopzZ from /etc/passwd and I think /etc/shadow also in OmniOS.

Thank you again gea for the support!

Last edited: