napp-it/OmniOS - mixing unauthenticated/authenticated?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Is it possible in napp-it/OmniOS to configure an SMB share such that it grants read-only unauthenticated (guest) access and read/write authenticated access (everyone@=full_set)?

If I enable guest access then it appears everyone can read/write and I don't see a way of restricting the guest user's permissions. If I disable guest access, neither adding the guest user to the folder ACL nor the SMB share ACL seems to grant permission to unauthenticated users.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I would be happy exposing the read-only, unauthenticated access as an NFS share instead of an SMB share, btw, if that would be a better alternative. But I'm having trouble creating those at the moment.

EDIT: Okay I figured this out. When clicking "off" under NFS on the ZFS Filesystem, instead of toggling to "on" I set it to "ro=@192.168.1.0/24", installed the built-in Windows NFS client, and then mounted the share with `mount -o nolock \\<IP>\tank\videos *`. This solves my problem although I would still prefer to have unauthenticated, read-only SMB access.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can only SMB share a ZFS filesystem in OmniOS without authentication (guest enabled) or with. Only option is using authentication in a domain or with a local Windows account that is the same like an OmniOS account to allow a connect without the need of entering name+pw and an acl like everyone@=read and write for other users/groups.

Solaris may offer two SMB shares per filesystem with different settings but not OmniOS.