Napp-IT/OmniOS iSER Target

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Is there possible to enable iSER on OmniOS? I was able to get standard iSCSI working with ESXi, but no luck with iSER. What's the best way to create an iSER target? (if needed)

OmniOS Build - omniosce-r151034
NIC: Mellanox ConnectX-4
Napp-IT: 19.12

Client
ESXi 7.0
NIC: Mellanox Connect 3 with iSER enabled

Thank you!

Last edited:

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
How did you get the connectx-4 to work in OmniOS? Mine won’t transmit data and I get a weird error in the console.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
There is a newly found bug in the Connectx4 driver. There is a fix available but as far as I know it does not fix the problem for all. If this happens, use the X4 in ESXi in the meantime

see https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/mlxcx-isnt-armed.29221/

about iser/IB, have you read for example

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Thank you @gea ! I am running bare-metal for OmniOS and I do not have @StevenDTX 's issue. I am familiar with Solaris' RDMA requirement for IB which is why I moved away from Solaris based ZFS to Linux based ZFS (not as good) in the past two years due to lack of support for Ethernet support (Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx EN for example).

I am very excited for OmniOS support Mellanox ConnectX-4/5/6 and decided to give it another try. Standard iSCSI works without issues, but iSER seem a challenge. With IB has a faded protocol should we ditch the aging Solaris platform?

Last edited: