Napp-it Issue with multiple Active Directory

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

poofer

Sep 2, 2016
I have a setup where there are 4 remote sites and a primary site. Each have their own Windows 2012 server running DNS and AD. The networks are meshed so everybody can see everybody. Recently I have been replacing our old servers with new ones with similar setup. Everybody has the same hardware except the primary site.
So here's the issue... When I bind to the Active Directory using Napp-it for server 2. It points itself to server 4 instead of server 2. So under the Active Directory option it shows..
Current state of SMB/CIFS Server: online
Current membership: domain [COMPANYDOMAIN] [*] [companydomain.com] [+server4.companyname.com] [ipaddress] [.] [STORAGENAME] [randomnumbers] [*] [COMPANYDOMAIN] [randomnumbers]

I'm concerned that if it is reaching out over the internet to get to server 4 instead of staying in its own building then I'm loosing valuable time and speed. Is this a real issue or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I have DNS pointing to the local site and then primary site as the secondary.

Disclaimer: I'm kinda new at this platform.

rpross3

Feb 16, 2016
I have a setup where there are 4 remote sites and a primary site. Each have their own Windows 2012 server running DNS and AD. The networks are meshed so everybody can see everybody. Recently I have been replacing our old servers with new ones with similar setup. Everybody has the same hardware except the primary site.
So here's the issue... When I bind to the Active Directory using Napp-it for server 2. It points itself to server 4 instead of server 2. So under the Active Directory option it shows..
Current state of SMB/CIFS Server: online
Current membership: domain [COMPANYDOMAIN] [*] [companydomain.com] [+server4.companyname.com] [ipaddress] [.] [STORAGENAME] [randomnumbers] [*] [COMPANYDOMAIN] [randomnumbers]

I'm concerned that if it is reaching out over the internet to get to server 4 instead of staying in its own building then I'm loosing valuable time and speed. Is this a real issue or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I have DNS pointing to the local site and then primary site as the secondary.

Disclaimer: I'm kinda new at this platform.
Do you have each site's subnet(s) defined in AD?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: stringfellowhawk