Napp IT for proxmox?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Is Napp IT supported as a VM inside Proxmox 6.3 VE? I am thinking of migrating from esxi to proxmox.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Not sure if it would make sense to run a Unix/Solaris based ZFS storage VM under Linux unless you want the Solarish SMB server or Comstar iSCSI functionality or S3 compatibility as a filesystem feature. What you can do is to run napp-it under Linux. Functionality is reduced to ZFS management then as many advanced napp-it features are based on Solaris, napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris : Linux

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Not sure if it would make sense to run a Unix/Solaris based ZFS storage VM under Linux unless you want the Solarish SMB server or Comstar iSCSI functionality or S3 compatibility as a filesystem feature. What you can do is to run napp-it under Linux. Functionality is reduced to ZFS management then as many advanced napp-it features are based on Solaris, napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris : Linux
Thank you gea. Would my exported pools in Napp It (Esxi)be imported again under proxmox without issues?

pinkanese

Jun 19, 2014
I moved from ESXi + Napp-IT to Proxmox last year. I actually forgot to export my pools, but after I installed Proxmox I just attached the drives and the pools were recognized and I could import them. Was super easy. Then just created an LXC container for SMB sharing and mounted the pools to it.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I moved from ESXi + Napp-IT to Proxmox last year. I actually forgot to export my pools, but after I installed Proxmox I just attached the drives and the pools were recognized and I could import them. Was super easy. Then just created an LXC container for SMB sharing and mounted the pools to it.
Thank you. Can you be more specific step wise? Assume I am a total idiot. I am installing Proxmox for the first time

pinkanese

Jun 19, 2014
It is really going to depend on your setup. I have only done it once so by no means an authority here, Google is your friend as always.

Shutdown everything using the pools, I doubt Napp-it has an export function in the GUI so you probably need to jump into the command line, then simply "zpool export poolname", then shutdown the host.

I moved to a new server, but if you are keeping the old hardware I would suggest disconnecting all the drives except whatever you are using for the Proxmox boot disc.

Get Proxmox installed and running, shut it down, and then reattach the rest of the storage you want to use. Open up the shell and run "zpool import" it should list the pools your exported before. Then simply "zpool import poolname".

The really tricky part is what comes next. My pool was just used as a Samba share for media and backups. If you are using the pools for VM storage you are going to have to do some conversion to get them to work under Proxmox.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Shutdown everything using the pools, I doubt Napp-it has an export function in the GUI so you probably need to jump into the command line, then simply "zpool export poolname", then shutdown the host.
??
Pool >> export is a often needed menu item.

Reactions: epicurean

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
It is really going to depend on your setup. I have only done it once so by no means an authority here, Google is your friend as always.

I moved to a new server, but if you are keeping the old hardware I would suggest disconnecting all the drives except whatever you are using for the Proxmox boot disc.

Get Proxmox installed and running, shut it down, and then reattach the rest of the storage you want to use. Open up the shell and run "zpool import" it should list the pools your exported before. Then simply "zpool import poolname".

The really tricky part is what comes next. My pool was just used as a Samba share for media and backups. If you are using the pools for VM storage you are going to have to do some conversion to get them to work under Proxmox.
Thank you. This ZFS pool indeed is for my plex movies , and not for VM storage. Is it complicated to enable NFS and samba share in proxmox?

pinkanese

Jun 19, 2014
Thank you. This ZFS pool indeed is for my plex movies , and not for VM storage. Is it complicated to enable NFS and samba share in proxmox?
No harder than everything else up to this point. I imagine there is a way to do it directly on the host but I decided to move my shares to an LXC container to keep things separated.

Setup a container with your preferred flavor of Linux and install the packages for an NFS server. There is also a template for a Turnkey Fileserver in Proxmox but I have not tried it.

You will have to go into the shell and add your storage to the container manually. Look into bind mounts, but mostly you are adding a line "mp0: /mypool/storage,mp=/storage" to the end of the config file for the container. You might need to do multiple mounts if you created different sub volumes in the zfs pool. When you go to setup your shares the path will be something like /mnt/storage.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Sorry for more newbie questions.
Why did you "move your shares to an LXC container"? Does keeping things seperate make it more complicated for Plex Server to see the movies files?

vjeko

Sep 3, 2015
gea, I would appreciate if you could comment.
With vmware changes with ESXI, I was planning to port everything to proxmoxx - that includes the AiO where I have OmnOS on local drive and
the rest of the drives on a HBA. I am far from experienced in the subject, could you indicate what you would suggest
in order to have the complete omnios/zfs functionality if you don't suggest running omnios as a vm in proxmoxx ?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have not done tests with Solaris based VMs under Proxmox as I am quite busy atm with ZFS on Windows.

Under Proxmox you have ZFS that you may use directly. You will loose the comfort of a storage VM and you must use SAMBA (Solaris SMB is quite unique regarding ntfs alike ACL, troublefree snaps as Windows previous versions or local SMB groups. Solaris Comstar is also to consider as is Solaris/Illumos ZFS that I consider superiour regarding stability). So you can check how well OmniOS runs under Proxmox, consider a barebone setup or a switch to ZoL.

In my own setup I decided to stay with ESXi 7/8 as long as possible.

Reactions: vjeko