Napp-it & ESXi question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

johngillespie

Jun 20, 2012
Paris, France
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of setting up my all in one napp-it server but am uncertain about the version of ESXi I should run.

I'm aware of the ESXi 5.5u1 NFS bug aswell as e1000 issues but also know that patches have been released :

ESXi 5.5 U1
There is a bug with ESXi 5.5U1 regarding NFS stability; please update 5.5 -> 5.5 U1 and then the 5.5U1 NFS bugfix
(this seems also fix the e1000 Problem)

Howto:
VMware Front Experience: How to update your standalone host to ESXi 5.5 U1
VMware Front Experience: New ESXi 5.5 patch fixes NFS bug and another serious OpenSSL bug!
Source: napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Downloads

What do you reccomend ? Should I upgrade, patch and run the latest version ?

I'm also what benefit there is to using e1000 as, based on what I have read, vmxnet3 offers better performance at a lower cpu cost ?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Latest ESXi 5.1 was ultra stable, especially with e1000 and mostly also with the faster vmxnet3. ESXi 5.5 removes the 32 GB RAM limit, so it is very attractive in newer setups.

I use 5.5U1 + the NFS patch since it is out with vmxnet3 (and tested e1000) without a problem on a test and developping machine. I would start with 5.5 U1 + NFS patch and go back to 5.1 only in case of problems.