napp-it auto service won't start

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ecb

Oct 7, 2011
I'm bringing up a zfs server:
OpenIndiana appliance v. 0.500s nightly Jul.03.2011

Most things are working well but I can't get the napp-it auto service to start.
I've created jobs for weekly scrubs but if I attempt to 'enable auto 15min' or 'enable auto 1min', I get:

enable napp-it auto service:
napp-it auto-script disabled

It's easy enough to create a manual cron job to do the scrubs but it would be handy to manage the scrubs from napp-it.

Is there additional setup needed somewhere?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
enable auto and create a snap job should be enough
try a reboot

ecb

Oct 7, 2011
Gea,
Thanks for the reply.
This is OI 151a
This turned out to be a real challenge. I looked at the cgi for enabling the auto service and was able to find the crontab it was trying to set for the root user. I tried setting the crontab manually and kept getting the error:

"Warning - Invalid account: 'root' not allowed to execute cronjobs"

Any attempt to edit the root crontab resulted in the same error.
(And, yes, I checked the cron.deny and cron.allow files. Root wasn't explicitly denied and there is no cron.allow file)
I fought with this for waaayyyyy too long but finally stumbled upon a IRC log that provided the solution - reset the root password. I simply (re)set it to what it already was. Crontab stopped complaining, napp-it let me enable auto service and the service runs the scrubs as advertised.
Perl whines about an uninitialized variable when the napp-it job runs:

Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at /usr/perl5/5.10.0/lib/i86pc-solaris-64int/DynaLoader.pm line 226.

but this appears to be harmless.
So problem solved.
BTW, Napp-it is a huge time-saver. Thanks for sharing it.

Last edited:

glasgow

Feb 3, 2012
Gea,
Thanks for the reply.
This is OI 151a
This turned out to be a real challenge. I looked at the cgi for enabling the auto service and was able to find the crontab it was trying to set for the root user. I tried setting the crontab manually and kept getting the error:

"Warning - Invalid account: 'root' not allowed to execute cronjobs"

Any attempt to edit the root crontab resulted in the same error.
(And, yes, I checked the cron.deny and cron.allow files. Root wasn't explicitly denied and there is no cron.allow file)
I fought with this for waaayyyyy too long but finally stumbled upon a IRC log that provided the solution - reset the root password. I simply (re)set it to what it already was. Crontab stopped complaining, napp-it let me enable auto service and the service runs the scrubs as advertised.
Perl whines about an uninitialized variable when the napp-it job runs:

Use of uninitialized value in subroutine entry at /usr/perl5/5.10.0/lib/i86pc-solaris-64int/DynaLoader.pm line 226.

but this appears to be harmless.
So problem solved.
BTW, Napp-it is a huge time-saver. Thanks for sharing it.
Thank you. you saved me so much time. Cant imagine how long it would have taken me. I just did:

#passwd root

then set the password to what it was already. and went back into napp-it and enabled auto 15 and it works perfect now