napp-it and OmniOS on Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TechTrend

Apr 16, 2016
Florida
I have deployed napp-it and OmniOS as a ZFS storage server with VMware ESXi. It has worked quite well. A customer project is coming up requiring KVM with multiple Linux and Windows VMs. We are considering using a VM on Proxmox with napp-it and OmniOS for storage services. This article on the Proxmox wiki implies it works.

Iscsi/nappit - Proxmox VE

Have other STH forum members used napp-it and OmniOS with Proxmox? Would appreciate any feedback on your experiences. Thanks.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Doesnt omnios have native kvm and zones support ?
No, only SmartOS supports KVM.
OmniOS supports Solaris zones and from 151020 up (currently beta, stable in next OmniOS 151022) and
lightweight Linux zones/container

Reactions: wildchild

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
When i boot up my omnios machine it says kvm disabled, so i figured kvm was part of it

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Omnios does have KVM. What all of the Solarish KVM implementations share is that there is no PCI Passthrough

TechTrend

Apr 16, 2016
Florida
Thanks for the feedback. Using OmniOS as the KVM host instead of Debian+Proxmox may be more efficient, avoiding a separate VM for ZFS.

Is there a KVM front end similar to Proxmox that supports OmniOS? The (one person) IT on that customer will need to create new VMs and manage VM migrations between physical hosts. Doing it from the command line will likely result in many support calls.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
SmartOS would be a similar product like Proxmox based on Illumos ( same base like OmniOS).
It supports the Solaris zones concept with lightweight Solaris and Linux VMs and KVM zones with VMs and with full virtualisation. But at the moment I do not support SmartOS with napp-it. SmartOS is a great virtualisation platform but not really suited as a general use storageserver.

OmniOS is strong as a general use server especially in the storage part.
They support Solaris zones and Linux LX zones but have not ported the whole functionality from SmartOS (like KVM zones or the set of their management tools). Within napp-it I support only the Linux zones part with a menu to download/add/edit/start/stop/ remove them

[OmniOS-discuss] LX zones and a small Howto
So yes, you may use OmniOS even with basic KVM but without any special GUI tools. If you need Linux VMs/ container, OmniOS may become a very interesting platform but less as a general use virtualisation platform like Proxmox or ESXi ex with Windows guests and full virtualisation.