napp-it and AD issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
When I reboot the napp-it box, it loses the domain information. I have to rejoin it to the domain upon every reboot.
I noticed this when trying to access a shared zfs folder from a domain computer.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If your box is a member of a workgroup after reboot, you boot into a systemsnap (BE) prior the join domain.
(Have you rebooted napp-it after install? It has created and activated a BE. You MUST reboot then).

If you are unsure, do a system-snap, activate and reboot.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I am not sure what you mean. The server boots to napp-it from grub by default.
I have rebooted into napp-it at least 20 times while i was fixing my disk failure issues. The system volume is good, no errors.

If your box is a member of a workgroup after reboot, you boot into a systemsnap (BE) prior the join domain.
(Have you rebooted napp-it after install? It has created and activated a BE. You MUST reboot then).

If you are unsure, do a system-snap, activate and reboot.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Here are the errors being reported

Code:
Jan  2 14:01:53 openindiana smbd[768]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] smbd_dc_monitor: domain service not responding
Jan  2 14:03:23 openindiana smbd[768]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] smbd_dc_update: geek.local: locate failed
Jan  2 14:06:47 openindiana smbd[768]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] smbd_dc_monitor: domain service not responding
Jan  2 14:08:17 openindiana smbd[768]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] smbd_dc_update: geek.local: locate failed
Jan  2 14:11:41 openindiana smbd[768]: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] smbd_dc_monitor: domain service not responding

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
I figured out why this keeps failing, upon reboot, the static DNS entries flop to a different IP address! WTH! It's almost as of it is grabbing dhcp info from my wireless router, but I am not sure, I don't know why though. Kinda weird if you ask me.
resolve.conf still has the static entries listed for the nameserver, search, and domain.
Ideas?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Disable Network Automagic. Your running OI so use:

#svcadm disable physical:nwam
#svcadm enable physical:default

Then setup your static IPs or whatever other custom networking you want. It

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
sboesch,

I do not use Napp-IT, but I did just build my first Solaris x86 11.1 server for use on a development network (as opposed to a corporate network with a central name service). Below are the network configuration steps that I performed as root - at least according to my notes. Since I am new to Solaris 11, and sometimes take less than perfect notes, you should consider the below to be "hints" and not a well-tested recipe. For example: I set the domain name in two places using two different methods and I don't imagine that I needed to do so:

• Switch from automatic network configuration to manual by enabling the "defaultFixed" NCP:
○ # netadm enable -p ncp DefaultFixed
• Verify that manual network config is set:
○ # svcs -xv network/physical:default
• Manually set the hostname:
○ # hostname <your_hostname_no_domain_components_included>
• Manually set the domainname:
○ # domainname <your domain, e.g. company.com>
• Set the default router by editing /etc/defaultrouter and adding a line:
○ <router IP address> <router netmask, e.g. 255.255.255.0>
• Update DNS config the right way:
○ # svccfg -s network/dns/client
○ # svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/search = astring: "<your domain>"
○ # svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/domain = astring: "<your domain>"
○ # svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = net_address: <IP address>
○ # svc:/network/dns/client> select network/dns/client:default
○ # svc:/network/dns/client:default> refresh
○ # svc:/network/dns/client:default> quit
• Update name service config to resolve hosts via files and then DNS:
○ # svccfg -s system/name-service/switch
○ svc:/system/name-service/switch> setprop config/host = astring: "files dns"
○ svc:/system/name-service/switch> select system/name-service/switch:default
○ svc:/system/name-service/switch:default> refresh
○ svc:/system/name-service/switch:default> quit
• Export the new settings to /etc/resolv.conf for legacy use:
○ # nscfg export svc:/network/dns/client:default
• Edit the /etc/hosts file to add the names and IP addresses of my local machines

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
When this all gets sorted, I think it is main site guide material. Odds are others will run into this.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
Once this is all sorted out, I will create a guide on installing, configuring and using Openindiana, and Napp-it in an AD Enviornment.
When this all gets sorted, I think it is main site guide material. Odds are others will run into this.