napp-it 18.12 free

Discussion in 'Solaris, Nexenta, OpenIndiana, and napp-it' started by gea, Dec 18, 2018.

1. gea

gea Well-Known Member

2. Jannis Jacobsen

Jannis Jacobsen Active Member

Are there any good reasons to go for napp-it over freenas?
    I just need zfs and iscsi with vaai and/or odx support, and good performance.

-j

3. gea

gea Well-Known Member

Napp-it is a management tool for Oracle Solaris and the free Solaris forks OmniOS and OpenIndiana (Illumos). Features depend on the underlying OS, not on napp-it. Solaris is the fastest and moch feature rich ZFS server OS at all but not free.

All Solarish offer best of all ZFS integration, best performance, lowest ram needs, kernelbased NFS and SMB services and Comstar, an enterprise iSCSI framework, Configuring Storage Devices With COMSTAR - Oracle Solaris Administration: Devices and File Systems

Vaai is only in Nexenta (commercial Illumos distribution) and I suppose Solaris, not in the free Solaris forks. But mostly you organise storage not from ESXi but the from storage management.

Napp-it AiO for ESXi 6.7 on OmniOS can be tested within minutes.
    Just download the ova template and deploy it, napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Downloads

4. manxam

manxam Active Member

Hi Gea, thanks for the update. Your website is a little misleading wrt to "Acceleration" though:

Code:
    napp-it 18.12p (free)
    18.12o
    smart acceleration
    acceleration works for 30 min after opening a menu 
    My pro license expired and I'm back to free but when I click on "Acceleration" i'm told it's a Pro only feature.

5. gea

gea Well-Known Member

18.12 is a free edition but some features like acceleration are only available with a Pro or Eval license.
    This is similar to ESXi where a license enables additional features.