napp-it 14b AIO upgrade path?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

animefans

Jul 18, 2019
I am on vmware 5.5 running napp-it 14b vm image for the longest time

What is my upgrade path for my napp-it installation? If possible, I prefer to stay with vmware 5.5

Thanks!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
It is possible to upgrade OmniOS 151014 in several steps (over the next lts) to current 151032 stable,
see 4. in napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris : Manual

If you need a storage VM for ESXi 5.5, I would create the VM manually

- create a bootdisk 40GB
- boot and install OmniOS 151032 from iso (VM type: Solaris 11-64)
- add vmware tools via pkg install open-vm-tools
- add and use a vmxnet3 vnic
- install napp-it via wget and run a System > Tuning (default)
- add TLS suppport (email alerts), napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris : Downloads

The current ova template with OmniOS 151032 needs ESXi 6.0 at least

Last edited:
Reactions: animefans

animefans

Jul 18, 2019
Gea
Thank you for the details!
I will try it out

EDIT:
Just followed the steps above, and I am on latest napp-it now!
BTW, is it possible to "export" the old iSCSI config from my old install and import into the new one?

Last edited:

animefans

Jul 18, 2019
looks like edit post doesnt count as new message...

Is there anyway to "migrate" iSCSI setting from one machine to the next?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can backup basic settings in napp-it menu Comstar > Basic Save/Restore to a datapool (Targets and Groups). Part of the new Cluster functionality in newest napp-it (19.dev) is a full Comstar Backup/Restore to a datapool. This includes all Comstar settings with Logical Units and views.

animefans

Jul 18, 2019
You can backup basic settings in napp-it menu Comstar > Basic Save/Restore to a datapool (Targets and Groups). Part of the new Cluster functionality in newest napp-it (19.dev) is a full Comstar Backup/Restore to a datapool. This includes all Comstar settings with Logical Units and views.
Finally find some time to play with COMSTAR using the GUI (was doing it using CLI in my last setup), and its not too bad

I think I will just start from scratch with all the LU/target/view/etc

Again, thank you very much for your assistance!