napp-it 0.8k with netatalk3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I have found that sometimes the AFP on or off status in the menu is not always correct. I WILL always turn on AFP for a folder but sometimes the status still says it is off. I realize that maybe the could be caused by manual editing of the conf file afterwards, but if I'm not mistaken I think it has also happened without user interference!

Try to enable one folder. Then disable it. Then enable a different folder. Then re-enable the first.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I did the update to Netatalk 3.0.1 and it went very smoothly. Rebooted and AFP was running fine, didn't see any errors this time. Very nice, Gea! Thank you.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
OI / FreeBSD / extended attributes question

Another question if I may: I'm a little confused about AFP and extended attributes. Specifically, I'm planning to build a backup ZFS system to use incremental ZFS send/receive to keep a backup of certain ZFS folders from my napp-it system. Unfortunately the hardware I have available for a backup server does not like OpenIndiana so I will probably try something based on FreeBSD.

If I understand correctly, Netatalk (AFP) on OpenIndiana is storing extended attributes from the OSX files in extended attributes on OI, but I'm not sure that FreeBSD has the same capabilities. If I do a ZFS send from OI to FreeBSD and then need to restore it back again to OI will the extended attributes that Netatalk has stored in the OI ea's still be there or will they be lost?

--and part 2 question:

If you do ZFS send/receive backups of NFS ESXi datastore folders, would a restore of those files result in VMs that can sort themselves out when next booted? In other words, is it a solution for backup of live running VMs?

Thank you.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
--and part 2 question:

If you do ZFS send/receive backups of NFS ESXi datastore folders, would a restore of those files result in VMs that can sort themselves out when next booted? In other words, is it a solution for backup of live running VMs?

ZFS send is based on snaps so the state of a replicated VM is like the state after a power failure. Some VM's are critical in such situations. If you need "real hot snaps" you must either do offline, set your VM to a snap-save state (if possible) or create an additional ESXi snap and do a ZFS snap/replication. The ESXi snap can be deleted after this action (ESXi snaps can slow down performance extremely).

In case of problems, you can use the ZFS snap and restore a "hot state with memory within ESXi"

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
Thanks Gea:

Some good news -- I did manage to install OI on a machine to use as backup, so you may have another replication license buyer here! Question about that: is it selectable to backup certain ZFS Folders (and not others) or is it required to backup the full contents of the pool?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Thanks Gea:

Some good news -- I did manage to install OI on a machine to use as backup, so you may have another replication license buyer here! Question about that: is it selectable to backup certain ZFS Folders (and not others) or is it required to backup the full contents of the pool?
Yes, replication via ZFS send can be used on single ZFS folders/datasets. It can be done recursively but I would prefer single datasets.