My X570 board SVM is not enabled even tho is shows enabled in the Bios.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I wanted to try a quick Windows 10 VM on my X570, 3700x and Pci-e 4.0 MP600 1TB drive to see how the performance is but........

I checked that yes secure vm shows enabled in the bios.

Shows enabled with no option to change it so I thought I was good to go.

Installed Virtual box but it only gave me the option to install 32 bit o.s.'s.

So I ran the KVM cpu-checker in a terminal and it showed the cpu was capable but svm was disabled in the bios. o_O

I rebooted and went back into the bios and in the main bios screen it does show "Secure Virtual Machine: YES"

Something funky is going on.

Next I started to poke around in the bios and went ahead into the overclocking features and under the cpu features tab SVM was disabled.o_O

I enabled it then saved and rebooted and ran KVM cpu-checker again and now all is good.

"@RyzenLinux:~$ sudo kvm-ok
INFO: /dev/kvm exists
KVM acceleration can be used"

That was a really odd issue.

So now going ahead with the install.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Holy crap that was fast, from first boot from the install iso to the initial welcome screen was less than five minutes.... :cool:

From a boot to the login screen is 8 seconds.:D

Windows 10 in Virtualbox is VERY responsive on this pc!

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Looks like I will need to install KVM, I tried Virtual box just to see how a VM runs on this pc and Virtualbox is just easier to install and configure than KVM.