My WS-C3560G-48PS is going ding ding ding.........................................

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Most every reference I can find says this switch has no speaker of any kind. Found one post that says it's the fan. Not sure I believe this.

The noise is a distinctive ding ding ding, there is never any variation of any king. It is absolutely rhythmic, no variation at all. In other words, it sounds like an alarm of some kind. But there are no faults shown either on the switch itself or in the web interface. The switch is functioning normally and all indicators are green.

It started this a couple of months ago. It's very subtle and hard to pinpoint. I narrowed it down to the switch using the old screwdriver to the ear trick. It's definitely the switch.

Any ideas?

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
The 3560G definitely does not have any speaker of any kind. Fan is a definite possibility, especially if one isn't spinning at full speed and the blade is hitting something.

Unfortunately, the command "show env fan" only gives an OK or Not OK result, it doesn't provide any details of fan RPM, so no easy way to tell other than watching the fans while you power up the unit.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The 3560G definitely does not have any speaker of any kind. Fan is a definite possibility, especially if one isn't spinning at full speed and the blade is hitting something.

Unfortunately, the command "show env fan" only gives an OK or Not OK result, it doesn't provide any details of fan RPM, so no easy way to tell other than watching the fans while you power up the unit.
Thanks. I'll try that. I'll be surprised if it is a mechanical problem with a fan. It doesn't sound like that all.