My workstation dual E5-2683v3 build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alucasa

May 23, 2017
The purpose of this rig is CPU rendering with Blender & Terragen.

I will mostly let pictures speak for themselves. If you have any questions, kindly ask.
The lack of RAM is due to budget limitation. RAM can always be added later after all and it wasn't my priority.

Spec

CPU: 2x E5-2683v3
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O
Case: Fractal Define C - Window
RAM: HYNIX HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF 8GB (On QVL list)
CPU heatsink: 2x ARCTIC Freezer i11
GPU: PNY 1060 6GB
HDDs: 840 EVO (128gb / OS drive) | 850 EVO 256gb (App drive) | 1TB WD blue 2.5inch HDD (Storage backup)

CPU
They were bought at Ebay at different periods. I originally bought a single E5-2683v3 a whole ago and used on a X99 platform. Being impressed by how much render time was cut short compared to my i7-6700, I planned this dual build.

cpuz.jpg

Motherboard
Nothing much to add. This was the cheapest 2011-3 ATX motherboard I could find, so I went for it.

mobo.JPG

RAM
Nothing much to add also. It's on QVL list.

ram.jpg

Case
This is a compact ATX case. It's compact because it removes 5.25 bays completely which I am fine with for the purpose of this build.

case.JPG

11.JPG
12.JPG
done.JPG

Last edited:

alucasa

May 23, 2017
During this build, there is something that must be mentioned.

Supermicro dual 2011-3 motherboard ATX does not strictly follow the ATX standard hole spec. I was aware of this and chose the case carefully where motherboard standoffs are removable.

The red circles are where the holes won't line up with the Supermicro motherboard's holes.

13.JPG

The workaround is simple. I installed dud standoffs so that the motherboard won't have any chance of touching the plate and therefore might short out.

14.JPG
15.JPG

Max power draw (GPU excluded) at 100% load.

maxpower.JPG

Idle power draw

idlepower.JPG

Cinebench score.

cinebench.png

Since it is a rendering machine, Cinebench is the only benchmark I needed to do and care.

Last edited: