My rack shakes/bends, is it dangerous?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I have one of the following racks:

I installed all the bolts but I was never able to keep it straight. Rack bends on the joints. I was told that it would stay firmer when I load more servers but that didn't help at all. AFAIS, all the bolts are screwed firmly. I think I am around the weight limit but reducing the load on the rack does not seem to make a difference.

1. Is bending/moving around the joints normal for this rack or is it dangerous? It has been staying solid for the last one year but I feel like everything will fall apart if there is an earthquake etc. Should I reduce the load or get something more sturdy?
2. I read that moving the rack on casters is very dangerous when it is loaded. I assume it is extremely dangerous to do this for this rack, I have another 22u rack very sturdy rack on good casters. Is it dangerous to move that rack as well?

Attachments

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Another chinesium product... To save the rack from scrap, relocate everything heavy into lower half so that it all basically sits on top of each other (like 1-2mm apart, as in a fully stuffed rack). So that the gear can't fall far if the 19" posts should give out. Heaviest pieces and with most depth lowest. If possible anchor the top on one side at edges to a wall, so the rectangle shape of the rack cannot morph into a trapezoid parallelogram during a quake.

Setting up a Rittal VX IT (5311.816) in 2000 x 800 x 1200mm HxBxD for my home lab in fall, but that is like 10x the cost.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I read that moving the rack on casters is very dangerous when it is loaded
Decent Server racks have often specfications for Static weight (fixed feet, not moved around) and dymamic weight ( Rack on casters, moved around). My silence Rack for Example Supports 1000kg Static weight, but only ~625kg dymamic weight

Reactions: Bert

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
At first glance, your CG is way too high and a rack without a welded frame should NOT be moved with equipment in rack or put on casters.
If you are in an earthquake zone, it will need to be secured in some manner. Check your local building and OSHA codes.

Get the "bible" for racking electronic systems.

Last edited:

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
I wonder if some cross bracing on the sides, and the top/bottom (think a big giant metal "X") would help add some stability. I'm not sure how handy you are, but you can get lengths of steel/aluminum at Home Depot (or your favorite hardware store) that should work okay; measure and cut to size. For extra stability, bolt the cross members together (the center of the "X"). Hit the bracing with some spray paint if you're feeling fancy ;)

If you're not comfortable with that, adding a rigid shelf that bolts to all four corners might also help, and would be a lot quicker. I would start with one in the middle of the rack, and if that works well you could always add one or two more, spaced evenly throughout the rack.

Good luck!

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Your rack is definitely on the very flimsy side, I would not load the top up anymore because the uprights will twist and fail, bringing the whole thing down like Jenga.
Looks like a Chinese version of a comms rack.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
At first glance, your CG is way too high and a rack without a welded frame should NOT be moved with equipment in rack or put on casters.
If you are in an earthquake zone, it will need to be secured in some manner. Check your local building and OSHA codes.

Get the "bible" for racking electronic systems.
Thank you very much! What is CG?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will reduce the load and move the heavy 4u servers to the bottom. That way, even if it tips over, damage will be limited. The rack holds my collection of spare servers in any case, I will put some of them to storage.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Thank you very much! What is CG?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will reduce the load and move the heavy 4u servers to the bottom. That way, even if it tips over, damage will be limited. The rack holds my collection of spare servers in any case, I will put some of them to storage.
Center of Gravity