My R710 Rails are too long, what can I do?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
So, I was stupid and didn't measure before I bought the Dell B1 rails, but if I would have looked closely at https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocument...eering-Docs_Documents/en/rail-rack-matrix.pdf I would have seen that just because the B6 rails for the R720 fit in the rack, it doesn't mean the R710's B1 Rails will especially as the document shows that the minimum size is larger for the r710's B1. Do I have any option or did I just throw money away on them?

rought estimate is that my front and back posts in the rack are 24in from each other.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
from what I gather, it seems that the rack has to be at least 27" in distance between posts. :/ annoyed, and thinking 3 inches might be too much to try to adapt to.

JGC

Jul 14, 2020
California (North)
"Do I have any options?"

If this is a home rack, you could consider 4 pieces of 1.5" long material to make a spacer on each end of your rails (presuming the doors/covers will still close), yes it would probably have to be solid stock. drilled and tapped on both sides of each block, but aluminum bar stock would be strong enough.

You would need a drill press, drills, tap and tap handle.
If this is outside your skill set or comfort zone then it gets more expensive to have someone machine it for you, and they will likely want drawings with dimensions.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
Yeah, it's outside my comfort zone, but it actually seems like this is a things as finding extensions that one can buy that are effectively that.