My Mini Supercomputer Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

panda

Jan 31, 2019
Hello!
I built a compact supercomputer...

• CPU - Xeon Platinum 8173M
  • Motherboard - Asrock rack EPC621D4I-2M
  • RAM: 64GB (4x 16GB although this may change)
  • Chassis - fractal design nano s
  • Cooling - Noctua NH-U12S DX3647
  • GPU - Nvidia TITAN V
  • Storage - Intel DC P4510 and KIOXIA XG6 M.2
  • PSU - CoolerMaster V1200
I was worried about memory access from 6ch to 4ch, but There was no performance loss. (available 90%~)
I'm happy with this build, but the problem is that I can't install the 10Gbe Nic...

Last edited:

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
BTW, Cinebench is one of those workloads that pretty much don't care about memory bandwidth.
Results of 4 vs. 6 channels WILL vary with different workloads.

Reactions: Patrick

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Hello!
I built a compact supercomputer...

• CPU - Xeon Platinum 8173M
  • Motherboard - Asrock rack EPC621D4I-2M
  • RAM: 64GB (4x 16GB although this may change)
  • Chassis - fractal design nano s
  • Cooling - Noctua NH-U12S DX3647
  • GPU - Nvidia TITAN V
  • Storage - Intel DC P4510 and KIOXIA XG6 M.2
  • PSU - CoolerMaster V1200
I was worried about memory access from 6ch to 4ch, but There was no performance loss. (available 90%~)
I'm happy with this build, but the problem is that I can't install the 10Gbe Nic...

Which ram did you use. I built a sff server using the same mb. I like how you went big with the titan:). Nice build.

panda

Jan 31, 2019
Hi Panda. Didn't the front panel header get in the way of the graphics card? How did you attach the cables?
Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply.
It really really little space・・・but, I use the Power switch on the chassis.

balnazzar

Mar 6, 2019
Thanks. I imagined that the height of the pins + power switch connector would have prevented the video card from properly inserting into the slot, but it seems that's not the case...! :)

panda

Jan 31, 2019
how hot does it get in there?

what do you use it for?

Hello.
I had a stress test using the AVX-512 and a 3Dmark stress test, which mainly gives the GPU maximum heat. This is 20 loops benchmark, and both power consumption and GPU power are extremely required.

>how hot does it?
As pointed out.
The maximum heat value of GPU is 83 degrees. However, the average value remains at 73 degrees, which means that 100% of the power may not have come out.
However, this is a problem with nVIDIA's stock cooler and not the impact of its compact size.

Look at the temperature of the CPU and the motherboard, I can see that it is the temperature that mobo can fully control! Though it is compact!

thanks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
wow those temps aren't bad at all. you could always run prime95 or furmark for pathological power and heat tests on cpu and gpu, respectively.

...but what do you use it for?