My little home lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
First of all, as it's my first post here, let me say i'm quite happy to have found this site and forum. It's really full of useful infos and advices.
Like many of you i'm quite a geek but IT is not my job.
I try to consolidate and upgrade my home equipment. Over the years i have accumulated plenty of stuff but it's now quite outdated and doesn't meet my needs.
I like to learn and try new things. I keep those which can be useful to me.
I have a proxmox cluster (2nodes) but quite underpowered.
The first node is a hp N54L with 8G ram and a samsung 850 evo 500G ssd. No hdd in it.
The second is based on an asus H76M-e and an i3-4330 with 8G ram and a sandisk 248G ssd. It also has an old 1Tb samsung hdd for data of one vm which runs a dozen of docker containers. It's in a huge coolermaster stacker.
My main data storage is a synology DS1815+ populated with 6 4Tb drives. For now it's been victim of the atom bug and is at synology's, i'm waiting for a replacement unit.
My backup storage is an old qnap TS639 pro (with 6 3Tb hdd). It's really slow and full.
Due to a very poor broadband connection i don't have access to video streaming like netflix only audio (currently using spotify). So i have plenty of media files. The really important ones are not so big and they are also backed up in various cloud services and offline hdds.
I plan to grab a cheap workstation like a hp Z620 to run proxmox and migrate all my vm on it. I'd like to have a second host to run some vm and lxc in case of failure of the main host. I think the hp n54 can do it.
For now all my vm disks are on local storage on a ssd.
Do you think i could migrate it to the synology and share it via nfs (can dedicate a bond of 2 or 3 nic )?
In that case i could use the 2 empty slots with a pair of ssd. I have to choose between a raid 1 volume or synology ssd cache as i guess the data in cache would be vm disks.

In a second time i'd like to replace my old qnap. The synology could be the replacement but i would need room for my main storage. A das attached to the main host could do the trick but the second host would have no access to it. I'm quite ignorant on storage management.
Due to waf reaching its limits i can't go for a rack even in the basement. Except for the stacker all my stuff is on a shelf which is not very deep; my procurve 2810-48G is the deepest thing i can throw in it. My patch panel is a small 10".

Sorry my post is quite long and as english is not my mother langage it may have some mistakes.

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
Well nothing extraordinary here.
I have:
1 W8 vm for configuring my smarthome system. Only online from time to time.
1 debian for LMS
1 debian for wazo (ipbx)
1 debian for jeedom (smarthome controller based on php+mysql)
1 debian for running a dozen docker containers (plex and other media stuff, 1 homebridge instance and 1 unifi-video controller)
1 LXC for unifi controller
1 LXC for dnsmasq
1 LXC for librenms
I have several other services to setup but nothing extraordinary (proxy,...)
For now plex is not really used. I have kodi and for apple stuff i use infuse.
Host 1 is around 50% cpu 60% ram and <1% i/o delay
Host 2 is around 10% cpu 80% ram and <1% i/o delay
But i can't use plex correctly because i need more ram. For now i only have 1 cam (plan to add 3 or 4 more)
Media sharing is only used on lan as my isp connection is really bad (dsl 5Mb/s down 0,8Mb/s up) but will use it when fiber will finally arrive at home.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I love the fact that you have allocated backup storage :)
Not sure the Z620 is the cheapest option - at least here in the UK you can get a DL380P gen8 for less (from ebay) and unless things have changed you'll need to pop a graphics card in there so need to be careful on the electricity side. Bujt on the other hand I've run a VM config on my Z800 before with no problems, the HP workstations are a good all in one choice and its hard to get large form factor disk choice cheap on ebay (which I like for maximising disk capacity).

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
Rackmount server is no option for me.
I probably will be able to get a Z620 at great price. And if i have to extend storage maybe i can get a cheap das enclosure to hook to the Z620.
But for now i have no budget to buy large disks.