My Lian Li A06 C6100 Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Quick 2 photos from my wip c6100 workstation build. I'll edit in more info when I'm done today, Enjoy.

Edit, info etc:
Quick fun little project for the holidays :D
Had free chassis, mobo and cpu, so why the hell not? Only thing i've paid for this project are: PSU, PSU backplane, molex minifit connectors + crimps, Pci-e riser, gfx card and the alu parts used for the build.

HW:
Intel Q3QS
C6100 mobo
Noctua NH-U9 (old scrap)
X amount of DDR3
Asus 580GTX DCII
C6100's 1.1kW PSU + backplane.
Intel 310 128GB SSD (stolen from lanpc)
Samsung 2TB (same as above)

The plan.

Psu mounts are 40x40x2mm alu pipe, motherboard brackets are 40x40x2mm L-profile.

Last edited:

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Updated the first post.

"Finished" PSU mounts for now, they're fixed to the chassis with 6x sunk head m3 screws.

The hole is not perfect, but it'll do :p

What keeps the PSU from coming out.

Tomorrow:
-Do the PSU backplane standoff holes
-Cut the slot for motherboard
-Mount the L-brackets to PSU mounts with m3 screws.

Last edited:

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Motherboard mounts almost done.

Front alings pretty well, it's maybe 1mm deeper than the front of the chassis :)

What keeps the node from coming out. Again I've used M3 sunk head screws to fix everything.

Any comments?

Last edited:

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Day 3:

PSU backplane standoff threads done, the current standoffs are 2mm too short so they look bit funny in that picture... Holes for cable routing also shown :D

Aluplate that blocks the motherboard at front, the one m3 screw is used for locking the motherboard.

View from inside.

Sidepanels and frontpanel closes. Motherboard is pretty well clamped there, moves maybe half of millimeter.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Removed the thin piece of original case between motherboard and psu, replaced with 2mm alu plate. Looks lot better than earlier :p

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Yeah I'll be using it later for feeding power to the motherboard, also for the frontpanel signals that go to PSU.
But the interposer is the interface between the hotswap mating connector (input) and the plugs / sockets that then connect via cables to the motherboard ports. If you are not taking any inputs from the edge hot swap connector I am not sure what is to be gained by still having the interposer there when you can connect straight to the motherboard or are you thining of connecting tot he edge connector on the interposer ?.

RB

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
But the interposer is the interface between the hotswap mating connector (input) and the plugs / sockets that then connect via cables to the motherboard ports. If you are not taking any inputs from the edge hot swap connector I am not sure what is to be gained by still having the interposer there when you can connect straight to the motherboard or are you thining of connecting tot he edge connector on the interposer ?.

RB
Yeah, I know that and I will make a mating adapter for the interposer. Pretty simple: Dual sided PCB with x16 PCI-E connector, 12pin Molex Mini-fit connector, 0.1" normal headers for leds and power button. Just finishing touches, It's not really needed will look lot nicer.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Yeah, I know that and I will make a mating adapter for the interposer. Pretty simple: Dual sided PCB with x16 PCI-E connector, 12pin Molex Mini-fit connector, 0.1" normal headers for leds and power button. Just finishing touches, It's not really needed will look lot nicer.
Cool, will be interesting to see what you come up with. Looking good so far :).

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Got most of the metal work done, just need to fix the fdd/odd mount with popriverts when I get back home. After that I ought to make some power cables :)

Also ought to tap some of the M3 threads to #6 UNC. Lets say there's no M3 threads at certain 2-3 holes since that 2mm aluplate I used was too shoft.

Last edited:

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
How noisy is that PSU ???????????
Might be a good little candidate for a pair of water blocks and a rear or top rad.
That PCI-E riser cable is GEN-1 only and may give issues if pushed hard a something bandwidth hungry. Look for the shielded GEN-2's, even with GEN-1 systems.

P.S I can see in the second last shot, you have been going for the close shave approach..... lol

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
How noisy is that PSU ???????????
Might be a good little candidate for a pair of water blocks and a rear or top rad.
That PCI-E riser cable is GEN-1 only and may give issues if pushed hard a something bandwidth hungry. Look for the shielded GEN-2's, even with GEN-1 systems.

P.S I can see in the second last shot, you have been going for the close shave approach..... lol
The psu is silent when compared to how audible the fans in that system are.
Watercooling would be a option if I wouldn't have to move this machine around, pair of noctua coolers are way lighter than full water cooling setup.

Oh right, forgot to post the picture from ready system to this thread :)

And yeah I had to shield the pci-e riser with aluminium folio due instability issues, should work now as I used this machine at LanTrek 2014 as my gaming pc for couple days :)

EDIT: I totally forgot to take pictures from the power cables I made but I have to redo most of them at some point.

Last edited:

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Well the there is one plus I see there, some can actually justify why bloody twats at Asus and a couple others feel that triple and quad-width cards are awesome...... LOL

Definitely need updated pics there bud, there is a problem there i can see already, the second pot is empty.

What was powering the GPU?

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Well the there is one plus I see there, some can actually justify why bloody twats at Asus and a couple others feel that triple and quad-width cards are awesome...... LOL
Might get another 580GTX just for lulz if I can get mezzanine -> x8 pci-e adapter done and working.

Definitely need updated pics there bud, there is a problem there i can see already, the second pot is empty.
Yeah. Planning to get pair of X5677's when I got too much disposable income.

What was powering the GPU?
The 1.1kW psu. Simply made mini-fit 12pin to 2x 8pin pci-e power cable which fits to the motherboard power connectors in the psu backplane.

Last edited:

AndrewT

Jun 17, 2014
This is awesome, If possible would you be able to measure the wattage this thing pull from the wall? Was thinking about doing something similar to this and converting a c6100 node into a 24x7 NAS. but if it sucks to much power it might cost to much in terms of my power bill to be a viable 24x7 option for me.
Thanks

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
Be really interested to know more about how your powering this thing. I have a spare C6100 node i wouldnt mind putting to use.