My Intel server detects false power outage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
My intel server (specs here) is on a UPC with pure sine wave output(link). The house has a wicked old AC that when the compressor kicks in it causes he UPC to boost the voltage and then the server logs an event
[reports a predictive failure has been detected for the power supply - Deasserted] and kicks the fans into over drive for 10 or so seconds. It's driving me nuts. I rent so not much i can do to address the AC issue so is there anything i can do on my end to reduce the false alarm or make the psu less sensitive?

thanks,
Marco

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Get an on-line UPS and make sure the voltage correction falls within spec of the unit.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
thanks for the links. I'll have to research and evaluate. Seems though with either way ill be stuck with noise, either the fan spin ups from power drops or the UPS fans. Maybe ill just move the server out of the work space.

Other then the annoying factor of spin up noise, should I worry that the server or psu might be damaged with this even though i have them on UPS currently?

another idea is can i double up two of the same ups IE plug one into the other one and then the server into the 2nd one to create my own double online unit? Or will i blow everything up lol?

Last edited:

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Oh, my bad. You certainly do have an odd predicament, because a line interactive system shouldn't be causing you trouble.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Those seem awfully heavy handed for the task at hand.

Maybe more along the lines of... PFC Sinewave Series - UPS Systems | CyberPower

It'd also be nice to know what kind of UPS @marcoi has.
??? He asked for examples I gave them. I never said 'these' are what you need exactly ;)

Oh, my bad. You certainly do have an odd predicament, because a line interactive system shouldn't be causing you trouble.
Well, it's a problem on two fronts. One, it's line interactive and sensitive equipment can have a problem with switch over, and two the voltage correction may not be up to the task of handling when the AC kicks on thus forcing issue #1. Likely one or both of those issues are resolved with a higher end line interactive, and are for sure handled with an on-line UPS.

My line interactive UPS on my work station has fans that get loud when it switches to battery due to a power-blurp and those sometimes happen every month or 5 times in a day... it's a rare event but it's annoying.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Power blips from the incoming mains is one thing, anoying as they can be, but having an A/C that is cycling all day and causing issues is quite another. If you are seeing a voltage sag (brownout) because of it starting up, it tells me that you are either sharing a circuit with it, or the wiring to the panel feeding it is too light. It's also possible that the pfc capacitors in the A/C have actually died of old age and it's just sucking up the amps to crank into life causing an actual voltage drop panel wide.

Adding anything to your gear to try and mitigate the issue is likely going to be an expensive exercise in futility. What you need to do is investigate and rectify the problem at its source, i.e at the A/C. If it's making your UPS nervous, it's likely stressing all your other switching supplies in the house, which given modern electronics, is pretty much everything these days. Your nice large panel T.V is a nice target for such things for example :)

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Power blips from the incoming mains is one thing, anoying as they can be, but having an A/C that is cycling all day and causing issues is quite another. If you are seeing a voltage sag (brownout) because of it starting up, it tells me that you are either sharing a circuit with it, or the wiring to the panel feeding it is too light. It's also possible that the pfc capacitors in the A/C have actually died of old age and it's just sucking up the amps to crank into life causing an actual voltage drop panel wide.

Adding anything to your gear to try and mitigate the issue is likely going to be an expensive exercise in futility. What you need to do is investigate and rectify the problem at its source, i.e at the A/C. If it's making your UPS nervous, it's likely stressing all your other switching supplies in the house, which given modern electronics, is pretty much everything these days. Your nice large panel T.V is a nice target for such things for example :)
I'm with you on the caps being an issue with the AC unit. The thing is I don't have control over the AC, so not sure if that will ever get addressed. (If it does then ill do a happy dance) Thus my search for alternatives i can do on my own.

Anyways all my equipment is on UPS of some sort, just this server is super sensitive and the normal UPS isnt providing the needed level of clean power. I think I'm stuck with the issue for the time being as I don't want to spend money on a new UPS right now.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I'm with you on the caps being an issue with the AC unit. The thing is I don't have control over the AC, so not sure if that will ever get addressed. (If it does then ill do a happy dance) Thus my search for alternatives i can do on my own.

Anyways all my equipment is on UPS of some sort, just this server is super sensitive and the normal UPS isnt providing the needed level of clean power. I think I'm stuck with the issue for the time being as I don't want to spend money on a new UPS right now.
Not having control over the A/C is a detail. You do have however, some degree of control over the landlord, who does have control over the A/C if you are renting. Capture irrefutable proof of what's happening, present this evidence to them and tell them that the clock is ticking on getting it sorted. If any of your gear is found to be damaged by this, you will hold them directly accountable for all costs involved. Be nice, but stand firm. The onus is on the landlord to provide a safe living environment. Any reasonably minded landlord facing the small cost of repairing the A/C vs replacing your gear and whatever else may be damaged, will see sense and do something about it quickly.

Obviously this reasoning doesn't necessarily apply to the type of landlord that can't see past your rent cheque each week, if you know what I mean :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@pricklypunter sadly I bet that gets no where :( When we rented years ago we had AC problems too, they sent out a repair guy and he "charged" it... sadly it still wouldn't keep the house cool, so we never ran it again. They wouldn't do anything beyond what the repair-man said.. and this was with a management company, so a bit more "must get it fixed" urgency too!!! :(

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@pricklypunter sadly I bet that gets no where :( When we rented years ago we had AC problems too, they sent out a repair guy and he "charged" it... sadly it still wouldn't keep the house cool, so we never ran it again. They wouldn't do anything beyond what the repair-man said.. and this was with a management company, so a bit more "must get it fixed" urgency too!!! :(

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Yea, I agree, it's a long shot, it really depends on how good the landlord is at looking after the property and tenants, but it's also free to try ;)

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
landlord is my father-inlaw, so its not him that is the issue. He more then willing to look into it and get it done. The issue is the people he has that services his AC. Hi is really good but temperamental and works on his own schedule. so it will get looked at but when is the biggest question :(

thanks for the feedback guys, i always appreciate the help.