My dual domain controller plan

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eric

Jul 18, 2013
I will like two domain controllers for domain protection should one ever go down. I'd like to setup two physical Windows Server 2012 machines. Each machine will virtualize a domain controller instance and another test instance. I'm thinking two machines so if one machine goes down the other domain controller will pick up. Right now I plan having both machines log into their own workgroup. Is there any benefit to having them try to log into the virtualized domain controller?

Also, if I ever plan on using Hyper-V clustering as a way to shift all the vms to the other machine is it possible with only two machines. I think an SMB 3.0 file share is needed so would this require a third Windows Server 2012 machine, and to implement hyper-v clustering will I require then 3 windows server 2012 licenses to have a third machine act as a SMB 3.0 file share and witness?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I know that Microsoft supports having the Hyper-V hosts as a standalone systems (workgroup members) or as domain members. In other docs, they also say that you should not have *all* of your domain controllers virtualized. I also remember that if you cluster, the Hyper-V hosts must be domain members. So if clustering is in your future, make the Hyper-V hosts domain members, but have at least one non-virtual domain controller on your network.

By the way, I tried virtualizing my domain controllers. It worked, but there were so many caveats and gotchas (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ontroller_virtualization_hyperv(v=ws.10).aspx that I gave up and made my Hyper-V hosts themselves domain controllers. Microsoft warns against this for conceptual reasons ("one host, one role") and for performance reasons (since promoting a sever to a DC disables write-back caching on the disk holding the database files). My DCs see very little traffic and I keep the boot drive separate, so I ignored their recommendations and I like the results. I now have four DCs and really would not care if one went down. In fact, I sometimes boot up only one or two of my Hyper-V hosts/DCs and everything works perfectly.

Last edited:

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I think active directory can handle the failure of an instance quite fine by itself. No need for complex clustering just for that.

Eric

Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm thinking of doing the two standalone machines, no clustering as an smb 3.0 file share will then just become the single point of failure and another expense. I will then enable Replica of the vms from one machine to the other.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I have been running two VMs as my DCs for 5 years now. Both have ADDS, DNS & DHCP roles.
For DHCP I just use a split scope so i dont overrun the other.

Its active/active so i don't have to deal with clustering or failover or any other BS.

Eric

Jul 18, 2013
Do you know if Windows Server 2012 has anything new to manage DHCP so you don't have issues with two servers both running the service?

Eric

Jul 18, 2013
Oh, very nice. Thanks for sharing that.
Yes. You used to cluster Windows DHCP, which was annoying, but now in 2012 it has built-in failover abilities, either active-standby or active-active.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Why don't you do split scope dhcp and two DNS server. Have two gc. No need for cluster. Unless you what failover for fileshares too on a San device.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Because if you're going to run 2012 may as well use the DHCP 'clustering'. It's no hater at all but active active on two nodes by way of the app/service being aware, not Windows itself. Much better than split scopes!

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
so each dhcp node is a MASTER? failure of a PDC for instance dhcp will still fire up?

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Have they made any improvements in windows 2012 r2? When it comes to the features op looking for?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I don't know specifically.

He's looking to do a few things:
* Either use a 3rd node for SMB 3.0 storage for the HyperV cluster or do local storage only and shared nothing live migrations from time to time.
* Configure his Hyper-V hosts to be domain members, of the DC/Domain that is hosted on their VM's.

Both are doable in 2012. R2 might have some incremental improvements, but it's not required for success.