My Dream Workstation... ouch!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Just can't justify it though, won't help I become anymore creative or even improve browsing google and youtube... but that price nearly 10k! :eek:
Anyone else want to share their dream workstation to be? or maybe already living the dream???

opera_x3Livx694k.png

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
For that price either go with an ECC-RAM-capable solution (without ECC imho not a "workstation") or lower CPU to 16-Core Ryzen without ECC. In this regard Threadripper if out of course. But you will not notice a particular difference unless you really have core-/RAM-bandwidth-bound processes you want to run, that can fully utilize the Threadripper CPU. Corsair AX1600i PSU seems a better deal. Blowing 2.5k on a GPU might be excessive. Look at diminishing returns in price/performance the higher in price you go. One generation prior is usually a much better deal. Some older cards with HBM2 memory might be worth a look depending on your use case.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019

Less retarded than Threadripper, even though I wouldn't say no to a 3970X. even though it performs like dogshit in games because lol 32 CORES!

2080Ti+10900K overclocked to high holy hell (5.6 GHz plus) on a chiller would be the best setup for shittily optimized games like GTA V though.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
@Serverking - my current setup is a 3950X on an Asus x570 workstation board with 64gigs @ 3200, watercooled platform using a custom dual-pump (serial for redundancy) gpu+cpu loop, has a 4tb P4510 U.2 nvme work drive and a 4tb evo 860 for storage and a 970pro 1tb m.2 stick as boot and an rdma network card. Gpu is currently a 1080ti aurus waterforce thingy (the only colourful thing in there but I must admit I do hate rgb with a vengeance, just far too tacky for my liking.

I'm just keen on crazy single-thread speeds plus massive core-count for when it kicks in useful ie 3d work. Primarily do video-editing and 3d plus photoshop work on this rig. Use vmware for my coding rig to keep the dev-environment in its own isolated department, though these days I don't get much time to code much other than the odd bits and bob (far too many projects still gathering dust in SC).

It's just I've seen how freakishly quick the 64 core threadripper tears through scene renders and I want that yesterday, but then when I think about it, a coffee break covers me in that department for now, maybe I don't really 'need' it as I'm not a production house working to tight deadlines so to speak.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
2080Ti+10900K overclocked to high holy hell (5.6 GHz plus) on a chiller would be the best setup for shittily optimized games like GTA V though.
I've never used chillers before, been watercooling since the first swifttech pump hit the scene (donkeys years ago), and before that I was throwing peltiers with custom cut heatsinks around my old amd rigs (pre K6 era).

One thing with me is I like the whole 'maintaining a decent carbon footprint' thing, not to mention save on utility bills, just makes you feel better knowing you're at least not as ignorant as the majority of the global population who simply don't give a rats backside in respect to taking care of the planet that takes care of us, anyway, thats a whole different discussion.

If I had a river running through my land, I'd probably hook that into the loop and get rid of the radiators and fans altogether lol

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
I've never used chillers before, been watercooling since the first swifttech pump hit the scene (donkeys years ago), and before that I was throwing peltiers with custom cut heatsinks around my old amd rigs (pre K6 era).

One thing with me is I like the whole 'maintaining a decent carbon footprint' thing, not to mention save on utility bills, just makes you feel better knowing you're at least not as ignorant as the majority of the global population who simply don't give a rats backside in respect to taking care of the planet that takes care of us, anyway, thats a whole different discussion.

If I had a river running through my land, I'd probably hook that into the loop and get rid of the radiators and fans altogether lol
I quit caring about XOC and XOCers after I got into a fight with one of those "XOC" people, nowadays the most overclocking I do are Core 2 Extremes and i7-XM CPUs in my Precisions, and even then not far. (says the one who has a 940XM running at 3.8 GHz in his M6500 Covet, LoL)

That and I only have space for one sort of hardware, and in my case it's Dell Precision Mobile Workstations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I quit caring about XOC and XOCers after I got into a fight with one of those "XOC" people, nowadays the most overclocking I do are Core 2 Extremes and i7-XM CPUs in my Precisions, and even then not far. (says the one who has a 940XM running at 3.8 GHz in his M6500 Covet, LoL)

That and I only have space for one sort of hardware, and in my case it's Dell Precision Mobile Workstations.
Totally understand. In another say 4-5 years I feel I'll too be settling for headache-free stability and build-quality with a solid brand workstation package over custom tinkering/oc'ing as far as workstations go, I've spent way too much time poking the current setup from all angles to get where it's at currently. Just don't have the luxury of time like I once did.

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019
Totally understand. In another say 4-5 years I feel I'll too be settling for headache-free stability and build-quality with a solid brand workstation package over custom tinkering/oc'ing as far as workstations go, I've spent way too much time poking the current setup from all angles to get where it's at currently. Just don't have the luxury of time like I once did.
Exactly! I still tinker with enterprise(y) hardware at home, but anything that costs me hours of needless troubleshooting is at risk of being replaced. Same can be said for me about cars. Many years ago, I loved the challenge of squeezing as much performance as possible out of my family vehicles. If a car broke and we had to share one car for a week while I fixed it, oh well. Nowadays I am happy to drive newer cars and just let someone else (dealership) deal with it :cool:

Reactions: Dreece