My combo lock misadventure a.k.a. Single stooge goofup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ran across a deal on 2 fire proof file cabinets that was too good to pass up. I bought them then when I went to get them I discovered that they weighed 800lbs. each. :confused:

The locks are Sargent & Greenfield so that was good but they only required a single number, 27, to open. This seemed strange so off to Google I go. Found that they leave the factory set to a single number, 50. They came with a single change key so after more research I was ready to change the combo to 3 numbers. After doing so I was unable to remove the change key and of course the new combo didn't work. I somehow manged to screw up a simple task even tho I had were clear, step by step instructions. :confused:

I then had to dremel the change key in half in order to remove the door from the drawer so I could access the lock. Then I had to order another change key from eBay and wait for it to make it's way to me from, yep, California.

While I was waiting I dug deeper into the instructions and discovered, to my horror, the the instruction to recover from a LOST combination (which is essentially what I had) was a long, drawn out affair which consisted of using a matrix to try different numbers before and after the presumed correct number and lots of jargon about stuck wheels and such. :confused: All this sent me looking for a replacement lock. In my searching I stumble upon the coolest utube video. This dude show how to recover from a lost combination without all the drama. The video had no narration at all, just him pointing and doing and it was stupid simple. Once I had the change key I watched the video one more time and then dove in.

It worked like a charm. Are trying the new combination half a dozen time I put the draw back on and did it another half dozen times. Worked perfectly. :)

Also, none of the above would have been possible if the drawer had been close and locked. At least I didn't screw that part up.

The moral of the story is - If you ever find yourself changing a S&G combination, take your time and read the instructions at least a half dozen times before you proceed. I know not where I screwed up but I surely know I did.

The End. :cool: