Multi Strand Fiber Wiring Help Between Two Buildings

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoGs

Feb 18, 2019
Hello,

I have been reading through the forum and am trying to put a list together of parts I need to be able to run fiber between my two buildings. I have a 24U rack in my house with ICX6610 and 6U in the shed with a Unifi 24Port POE Pro. I have run a 1" conduit between the two buildings and am hoping to run some fiber between them. Doing my research and finding one other post on here I was able to cobble together a list of parts that I would need to connect 10Gbit. I am hoping to keep the ability to upgrade it in the future with god knows what :)

• 2 x FHD High Density 1U Rack Mount Modular Enclosure Unloaded, Holds up to 4 x FHD Cassettes or Panels, 144 Fibers (LC) (link)
  • 1 x Brocade 10G-SFPP-LR Compatible 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km DOM Duplex LC SMF Transceiver Module (link)
  • 2 x 1m (3ft) LC UPC to LC UPC Duplex OS2 Single Mode PVC (OFNR) 2.0mm Fiber Optic Patch Cable (link)
  • 1 x FHD MTP®-12 Cassette, 12 Fibers OS2 Single Mode, Type A, MTP® to 6 x LC Duplex (Blue), 0.35dB max (link)
  • 1 x FHD MTP®-12 Cassette, 12 Fibers OS2 Single Mode, Type AF, MTP® to 6 x LC Duplex (Blue), 0.35dB max (link)
  • 1 x Ubiquiti UF-SM-10G Compatible 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km DOM Duplex LC SMF Transceiver Module (link)
  • 50m x Customized Length MTP®-12 (Female) to MTP®-12 (Female) OS2 Single Mode Elite Trunk Cable, 12 Fibers, Type A, Plenum (OFNP), Yellow (link)
I debated running CAT6A but having to buy large spools is not something I would ever need again.

Would love some feedback if this would work, what issues I could run into, and any other gotchas from people that have done this in the past.

Thanks a bunch.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
i am not sure that would work since the cable would be going in a conduit outside potentially covered by water and freezing. The armored LC to LC is more expensive then the armored MTP cable
The MTP you listed is standard plenum-rated, not armored. Conduit should go below the frost line if at all possible. Here's their armored multifiber cable: Military-Grade Fiber Optic Patch Cable 1-24 Fibers - FS Rated for -40 to 80 C. The standard MTP is rated only down to -10 C.

Doing the milspec as duplex LC fanout comes in cheaper than having them do it as MTP for the same number of fibers which strikes me as a bit odd, must be the way the MTP has to be terminated I guess.