Multi-bay SAS setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Service Line

Mar 19, 2021
We have 4 Seagate SAS drives ST6000NM0034. We would like to mount them in an external enclosure that will house at least four of them and if not too much more expensive a couple of extra bays for future expansion. We know we need an adapter for the computer and cables. Any recommendations for the gear - enclosure, adapter, cables? This is not going to be a production server - it will strictly be used for labs and testing scenarios - so does not have to be top of the line.

Also would like to have recommendations of what we would need to be able to connect them to SATA ports - so SATA to SAS convertor/connector/cable.

Any feedback is appreciated in advance.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
If it doesn't need to be pretty to look at, I would probably pick up a couple of Chenbro 4 disk cages from the 'bay. Just need a reverse 8087 breakout cable to each cage, giving you up to 8 x SATA ports to play with. Alternatively, toss in a cheap LSI 2008 based card, like a Dell H200/ 310, flashed to IT mode into your computer and route a couple of 8087 cables out through an unused expansion slot to the external cages. Obviously you'll need to MacGyver an external power supply to run them, but that's easily doable :)

Goose

Jan 16, 2019
If it doesn't need to be pretty to look at, I would probably pick up a couple of Chenbro 4 disk cages from the 'bay. Just need a reverse 8087 breakout cable to each cage, giving you up to 8 x SATA ports to play with. Alternatively, toss in a cheap LSI 2008 based card, like a Dell H200/ 310, flashed to IT mode into your computer and route a couple of 8087 cables out through an unused expansion slot to the external cages. Obviously you'll need to MacGyver an external power supply to run them, but that's easily doable :)
I've done something similar to this: X3650 M3 with a LSI HBA with SFF-8087 cables x2 out of the adjacent slot to a chenbro RM4116? with its own P/S and a SAS expander to 16x disks. Fun times. Only issues were when I needed to get inside the cxhenbro which was directly underneath.

Note - The 2x cables were by design to provide some cable loosening fault tolerance vs a speed bump of 8x channels.