MS510TX - 2.5gb and LAG ports only getting 100MBps

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SychoSly

Apr 16, 2013
I am hoping someone can help me. I purchased a Netgear MS510TX switch with hopes of utilizing the 2.5gbps ports and setting up LAG ports. I configured everything and I am only getting 100-115MBps transfer speeds between all devices.

My setup: Orbi Router > MS510TX >
Ports 1&2 LAG LACP Windows Server 2012
Ports 3&4 LAG LACP Synology NAS
Port 5 Lenovo M910 2.5GBe Cable Creations USB eth adapter
Port 6 Netgear 1GB dumb switch
Port 9 Uplink to Orbi

Testing transfers between any of the devices server, nas or M910 desktop I only get 100-115MBps transfer speeds. Am I missing a configuration step somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
What happens when you try two devices to the same server on a LAG? Can you get more than 100MB/s in aggregate?

tsteine

May 15, 2019
This setup will never give you more than 1gbit on any given transfer/connection.

The only way to utilize the 2.5gbit device for more than 1gbit is if it transfers from both the windows server and the nas at the same time, it should then receive 2gbit in aggregate.

the server and the nas should also be able to serve the other, and a different device at the same time for 2gbit in aggregate.
You may need to alter the LACP load balance algorithm so that it splits connections across multiple links the way you expect.

It should also be noted that the underlying storage and machine hardware needs to be capable of filling 2 1gbit links worth of bandwidth simultaneously.

Edit: worded the initial post poorly.

Last edited:

tsteine

May 15, 2019
Technically, if the lacp loadbalancing is based on source ip, source port, destination ip, destination port, you should also be able to get 2gbit in aggregate towards the windows server or the nas over the 2.5gbit port, but it would have to be two different protocols/ports in use, like cifs file transfer and nfs file transfer, which would each manage 1gbit.

There are some exceptions though, there are software implementations that split transfers across multiple ports. such as SMB multichannel which may be possible for you to set up on the nas and the windows server, but that is usually done through separate subnets without link aggregation.

edit: Unfortunately Link aggregation is often misunderstood to mean more bandwidth for your transfers, but the true purpose of link aggregation is to provide load balancing and redundancy, not more bandwidth a single connection.

SychoSly

Apr 16, 2013
Technically, if the lacp loadbalancing is based on source ip, source port, destination ip, destination port, you should also be able to get 2gbit in aggregate towards the windows server or the nas over the 2.5gbit port, but it would have to be two different protocols/ports in use, like cifs file transfer and nfs file transfer, which would each manage 1gbit.

There are some exceptions though, there are software implementations that split transfers across multiple ports. such as SMB multichannel which may be possible for you to set up on the nas and the windows server, but that is usually done through separate subnets without link aggregation.

edit: Unfortunately Link aggregation is often misunderstood to mean more bandwidth for your transfers, but the true purpose of link aggregation is to provide load balancing and redundancy, not more bandwidth a single connection.
Thank you for the info. I ordered another 2.5GB ethernet adapter and see if I can hit those speeds from PC to server. Thank you