MPTSAS BIOS not loading on 3081E -- card dead?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Philhar88

Sep 12, 2012
I have a 3x 3081E model 8 port internal SAS HBA (similar to this: LSI Internal SATA/SAS SAS3081E-R 3Gb/s PCI-Express 1.1 RAID Controller Card, Single - Newegg.com) on a supermicro LGA 2011 motherboard.

After I boot, there is only only 1 LED visible on the card and none of the link activity. After the POST the MPTSAS BIOS never loads at all.

Needless to say once I'm in the OS (Ubuntu) using sasflash shows no devices at all (-listall).

Are these cards all useless? I've tried plugging them into different servers, plugging them in one at at a time and nothing seems to work

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
After I boot, there is only only 1 LED visible on the card and none of the link activity. After the POST the MPTSAS BIOS never loads at all.

Needless to say once I'm in the OS (Ubuntu) using sasflash shows no devices at all (-listall).
Does it show up in "megarec -adplist"? If not, then there's probably "nobody home" on the card - even cards that are not in a run state (solid or off LED instead of slow flashing) usually show up there, unless it is a card that's too new for megarec to know about.

If it does show up, I'd suggest waiting for someone with more experience than me to suggest something, instead of just "trying stuff" in megarec - you don't want to make the situation even worse!

Philhar88

Sep 12, 2012
Does megarec work with non hardware raid cards? This is a SAS HBA so wouldn't have the onboard RAID BIOS to boot.

Not sure how this has happened to two cards? Is it possible the supermicro motherboard is at fault here?