Moving VM from ESXi to Workstation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Is there any easy way to move a VM on an ESXi host over to Workstation 11?

I'd like to get my media server VM moved over to my PC so that I can keep that running while I test out different hypervisor options on my new server over the next week or two since ESXi is giving me headaches.

I use Veeam to backup my VMs but it doesn't support restoring to Workstation.

Should I just download the VM directory off the datastore and copy it over to my PC?

Last edited:

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Should still be able to. Double click the vm, right click, go to manage and then clone. It let me do it connected directly to the esxi host.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
This is from workstation client. Connect workstation to the esxi host directly then you can clone the vm to workstation

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I see, in that case the easiest way would be shutdown the vm and copy the datastore folder. I apologize for misleading you.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I see, in that case the easiest way would be shutdown the vm and copy the datastore folder. I apologize for misleading you.
No worries, I appreciate the effort. Luckily while I was attempting this with you I was already copying the datastore folder over so I didn't waste any time ;).

On the unfortunate side, it's copying at only 9MB/s since it's over my site-to-site VPN which is only 75Mbps. 80GB at 9MB/s = not cool :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: markarr

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I was going to say yank the datastore disk put it in copy and put it back but maybe it's not local ?