Moving a Windows RAID to a new machine

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
Hi, I've been lurking here for awhile and have been upgrading equipment due to all the great deals that are posted here. Blessing and a curse... Thanks to all.

Question 1: I have a 10 sata drive raid1 setup in a windows 8.1 generic machine. This raid is only data storage (OS is on a separate SSD). I'm out of space and drive bays but need to add more drives. I want to move all of these drives (the whole raid) all at once to a 2U rack server that has server 2012 r2 on it. Any suggestions / tips / tricks / advice? Will the raid "just work" when I log in and enable the drives?

Question 2: The new 2U server has 12 3.5 bays. Assuming the above will work, after I add two new drives to the array, is it easy to delete 2 of the older/smaller drives from the original 10? (I only want to decommission 2 or 4 of the original 10, so I don't want to copy all the data to a new raid.)

If I should post this in a different section, please just let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

namike

Sep 2, 2014
If it is just a windows software RAID off a normal HBA/SATA controller then yes, it will just work. I have moved then between new and rebuilt systems on Windows 7, so I assume they would work the same. You might have to "import" them from disk manager on your new machine.