Move old threads to discussion area for old deals?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
There are at least 5 threads on this page from "not this year" where discussion is taking place, the deal is no longer available and instead the discussion is more about troubleshooting vs. a current/relevant deal.

Can these threads be either closed, or moved to another area?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm fine moving them to the appropriate sub-forum, or the 'chat' sub forum...

Or closing them and linking to a new thread in appropriate forum may be better too. So there's not pages of deal talk to get to the real talk.?

Whatever @Patrick decides I can make happen.

Reactions: scobar

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I think for the threads where the deal is really dead and it's just discussions by people who bought the item, this suggestion makes a lot of sense.

However, for threads like the E5-2670 price tracking one, where people come back and continue to post deals on CPUs (maybe the thread title should be changed?), i would prefer those remain in the deals section. threads like that are useful, for price history knowledge, and also an easy way to subscribe to a thread for someone who's in the market for CPUs or whatever the thread might be about.

just my opinion...

Reactions: scobar

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
I think for the threads where the deal is really dead and it's just discussions by people who bought the item, this suggestion makes a lot of sense.

However, for threads like the E5-2670 price tracking one, where people come back and continue to post deals on CPUs (maybe the thread title should be changed?), i would prefer those remain in the deals section. threads like that are useful, for price history knowledge, and also an easy way to subscribe to a thread for someone who's in the market for CPUs or whatever the thread might be about.

just my opinion...

For the price tracking threads I'd suggest just sticky them at the top, when no longer important, move to discussion area.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am just going to let this discussion take place.

I do see the value in highlighting new great deals versus dead ones, but that E5-2670 is a great example of a longer-term thread continually delivering value, much like the C6100 thread was before that.

Reactions: drkKnight

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I'm fine moving them to the appropriate sub-forum, or the 'chat' sub forum...

Or closing them and linking to a new thread in appropriate forum may be better too. So there's not pages of deal talk to get to the real talk.?

Whatever @Patrick decides I can make happen.
Whatever we do let's be careful/mindful that sometimes there are real gold nuggets hidden deep in threads and yeah maybe they should have been opened up as a new thread/sub-forum but I think the momentum had been gained and the thread was HOT and it's a runaway train. I'd just hate to lose those juicy 'lessons learned' or key takeaways/breakthroughs that wound up buried in those threads. I think a thread title ###DEAD### is in order to handle this better 'maybe' but it's up to the big boss. wink wink

I DO concur that we have a quite a few legendary threads that are 'the gifts that keep on givin' as well but some optimizations I am sure can take place...not my cup of tea and I don't mind peeking in if an old thread pops back up to the top, especially one that I was actively engaged in and new deals be coming all the time!

Last edited:

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I just sort by start date for this exact reason. I'm not interested in the numerous support discussions for old deals.

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
I can see both sides here.
How about moderators just keep updating the original topic (first post) in these big popular threads?
That way, you can see what you want in a glance, or read the whole deal if you want all the info.

If this is something we want, then I don't mind helping by sifting through the topics and msg'ing a moderator with stuff to update, to save them the hassle.

Last edited:

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i just click on the new posts button on the top of the forums, and quickly scan the thread topics. I probably spend too much time on here so i know which ones are new vs old. So this approach might not work for the causal visitor.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
i just click on the new posts button on the top of the forums, and quickly scan the thread topics. I probably spend too much time on here so i know which ones are new vs old. So this approach might not work for the causal visitor.
same for me

However as the site grows more and more this becomes more of a challenge to keep on 'knowing' about the topics/sub-forums, etc... probably a good year off or more before the "new posts" become too much to consume if you skip a day or two.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I can see both sides here.
How about moderators just keep updating the original topic (first post) in these big popular threads?
That way, you can see what you want in a glance, or read the whole deal if you want all the info.

If this is something we want, then I don't mind helping by sifting through the topics and msg'ing a moderator with stuff to update, to save them the hassle.
That would require a huge amount of time.

It would also require people to read the firs topic, often when a thread is 20+ pages people jump to the last page to see what's the latest going on.

I don't think editing the original post is a good idea and may have more harm than good.

Reactions: Patrick

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
I think that the deal thread should be just that.. a deal and its details. i.e. what offers are taken and when they are out of said deal..

there should be no discussion of how it work, how to modify, etc .etc. a link to a seperate forum thread would be ok.. but there are threads that keep poping to the top where the 'deal' has been dead for years...

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
@dragonme not a bad idea, maybe we could one day have some sort of a STH wiki where we can collaborate on articles. :D

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
purge all threads (automatically) after 30 days

no discussion other than deal related in the thread